Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine during acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Default Whine during acceleration?

Ok, so I'm not the biggest gearhead on here by any means...But I've noticed a bit of a whine when I accelerate lately. It only seems to do it at low speeds and only just after I start the car. I don't know if cooler weather has anything to do with it.

It won't make any noise while I'm sitting still with the car in any gear or neutral. Only once I start accelerating. The whine increases in pitch as I accelerate. To me, it sounds like it's somewhere on the right side of the car (but I'm just saying that's how it sounds to me). I think that the whine is associated with the movement of the car, and not how much I'm on the throttle.

Any thoughts? I'm gonna take it to the dealer to get my 30k service done anyways, so I am going to have them check it then. Just thought I'd get your opinions before I go.

(I know it's not really a lot of useful information to ask for any advice...and I'm sure plenty of you guys might roll your eyes...so I apologize in advance for any of you that read this and felt I wasted your time :P )
Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You shouldn't be drinking whine while driving...
Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

My car was whining on decel....it was my gears.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

What if I put my whine in a brown paper bag, does that make it ok?

I hope it's not my gears...*sigh*
Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

I had this same whine under acceleration, so i took it to the dealership and the service manager said that is regular tranny noise, which was weird cause i never had it before. but he also said that i do have a very slight gear whine which he noticed under decel, even though i didnt hear it. so i got my gears replaced and upgraded to 3.73's under warranty and now i have whine so bad that i'm scared to drive on the interstate. so they have to replace them again. and then if the gear whine is fixed i'll know if i still hear the whine under accel.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I dont understand why so many people have gear whine that took it to shops that got it installed. I did the gears with me and 2 friends and it doesnt whine at all. My tranny whines but it always has since I got the car. The stock tranny is loud for some reason.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
I dont understand why so many people have gear whine that took it to shops that got it installed. I did the gears with me and 2 friends and it doesnt whine at all. My tranny whines but it always has since I got the car. The stock tranny is loud for some reason.

I didn't want to mess with gears because of hearing all this gear whine stuff on the forums and about not to do it yourself. I'm only 18 and installed my whole suspension and plan on putting a whipple on my car in about a year but I just didnt want to mess with gears for some reason.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
MustangMan64
2nd Gear Member

maybe christmas came early for you and someone installed a supercharger into your car over night...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm whining all the time on decel...
I don't like to decel!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:31 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I hear whine everytime I accelerate. Its strange started when I installed my whipple. Sorry couldnt resist.

Sounds trans related to me.

Quick Reply: Whine during acceleration?