Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with Steeda Shifter enter please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
I had the steeda on the car for about 2 weeks also then went with the hurst.

My only problem with the steeda is that it is not a short throw shifter, its more of a powershifter and that is it, the throw isnt any shorter then the stock shifter by any means. I was really dissapointed when I installed it, strong as ever and yes u wont miss 3rd if you tried but throw is way to long and wasnt what I what looking for.
Maybe it was longer than what you are looking for and that is ok, but it is approx 20% shorter in the upper position and 30% shorter in the lower position. To say it is not shorter at all and not a short throw shifter is incorrect and misleading to our product.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i have a tri ax on my 500 and love it...no searching for gears....didnt notice any extra noise or heat...did use dynamat...got a little smoother w/ time
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Steeda makes pretty quality stuff. I don't have mine yet, but when i do, i'm getting the STeeda short shifter.

What is diffrent about the steeda third gear? the springs? do i have to shift any special way to go into third with the steeda short shifter? I mean, can i still SLAM it into third or do i have to be gentle or something because of the return spring?
i'm getting one for my 00 GT
Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Maybe it was longer than what you are looking for and that is ok, but it is approx 20% shorter in the upper position and 30% shorter in the lower position. To say it is not shorter at all and not a short throw shifter is incorrect and misleading to our product.
Ok fair enough I retract my statement on it not been a shorth throw, I will say though its not very short and it didnt feel any differnt to me in lenth then the stock did and same goes as my rommie driving and my neighbor couldnt tell the diffrence besides it was harder to get in 1st.

On another note maybe you guys should have some specs on the throw then cause that is the only misleading thing right there is people assume its going to be just as short as the competitors but in reality its not.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM
06Slicks

everyone is going to have a different opinion. I bought my first mustang with the MGWs shifter already on it, that got totaled and I went with the steeda on the new stang. I love this shifter more than I could ever love a human baby.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jbauer
Steeda makes pretty quality stuff. I don't have mine yet, but when i do, i'm getting the STeeda short shifter.

What is diffrent about the steeda third gear? the springs? do i have to shift any special way to go into third with the steeda short shifter? I mean, can i still SLAM it into third or do i have to be gentle or something because of the return spring?
i'm getting one for my 00 GT
When it comes to our shifter in particular, one mistake people make is to try and guide it in themselves like they do the stock shifter. What you want to do is let the shifter do the work for you. Push it forward from behind and let the shifter find 3rd gear for you.

I often demonstrate this in our showroom with our display shifter by hitting the shifter from second to 3rd with my forearm and watch the shifter go to 3rd by itself as I push it with no guidance from my arm. Customers who see that get it everytime
Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
Ok fair enough I retract my statement on it not been a shorth throw, I will say though its not very short and it didnt feel any differnt to me in lenth then the stock did and same goes as my rommie driving and my neighbor couldnt tell the diffrence besides it was harder to get in 1st.

On another note maybe you guys should have some specs on the throw then cause that is the only misleading thing right there is people assume its going to be just as short as the competitors but in reality its not.
There is a reason we don't make it super short. The leverage of the shift arm starts going down tremendously when you go to short. I'm not here to bash other brands specifically, but I can tell you I have driven competitors shifters and some were so short the effort required to shift was way too high because you decrease leverage the shorter you go. Shift efforts were higher than our shifter particularly for those with very short, stubby arms. I experienced this in personal cars way before I started working for Steeda and personally I cant stand high shift effort and will not trade super short throws for high effort. I actually had a competitors shifter years ago that I put a longer Steeda shift handle on before I worked for Steeda and the extra leverage noticeably improved how it drove.

Our 05+ shifter does a great job of balancing short throws with proper leverage for good shift effort. Lower shifting effort can enhance what makes a shifter feel like a "smooth" shifter. Which customer feedback has told us is important to them.

There will always be different opinions on what makes a good shifter, that brings on competition and broader choices for the customer. Our shifter is the result of customer feedback and does a great job of satisfying the majority of customers needs for street or race applications.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

can the shifter shift itself into third as fast as i can? Gotta be honest, that kind of makes me wonder. I mean most people can slap third gear in like a .001 second, can the steeda shifter do it just as fast? Are you telling me I can't force my shifter into third anymore? some of us are just use to forcing the shifter, i don't think i could be at the drag strip and even think about ''guiding the shifter into third with my forearm''..it's more like "Die ***** frencha, die!" I'll go on youtube and see if there are any videos of it

Last edited by Jbauer; 12-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jbauer
can the shifter shift itself into third as fast as i can? Gotta be honest, that kind of makes me wonder. I mean most people can slap third gear in like a .001 second, can the steeda shifter do it just as fast? Are you telling me I can't force my shifter into third anymore? some of us are just use to forcing the shifter, i don't think i could be at the drag strip and even think about ''guiding the shifter into third with my forearm''..it's more like "Die ***** frencha, die!" I'll go on youtube and see if there are any videos of it

I think the forearm thing made you miss the whole point i was trying to make. The point is the shifter will do the work for you. All you have to do is give it the push, and yes you can do it quickly. As long as you get the clutch in quick enough the shifter will have no problem finding 3rd for you.

I've seen customers trying to guide it in themselves after installing the Tri-ax and they dont guide it properly, and are basically keeping the shifter from doing its job and are fighting the shifter. Don't fight the shifter, work with it. Just shove it hard from behind and it will find 3rd.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

ahh, ok i see what your saying.
Just slam it hard from behind but DON'T GUIDE it into third, just let it guide itself and supply the amount of force you seem proper from behind?

That's what she said

Quick Reply: People with Steeda Shifter enter please