Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange little episode I had with my car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
They told me the battery was drained but that the battery was still good. I told them about the clock staying on and the guy said that a clock that stays on can most certainly drain the battery.
I would ignore their statements. A battery doesn't just decide to drain itself. A battery can show 12V when you put a voltmeter up to it and still be bad.

So either your alternator isn't charging the battery or its a bad battery. When a battery gets low, things act funky. Like accessories, radio, clock etc etc.

I would replace the battery. Its bound to happen again.

But even after all this....you getting shocked by the ignition is puzzling still unless that was just a coincidence.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its either the famous unwanted underdash water dispensor option
or the proven bad Shaker acting up.
The shock is called static electricity
or a nutrino from space went thru your arm
at the same exact moment you turned the key.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Reading victoria's horror story with her battery and the junction box getting wet makes me think if I should put the carbon fiber KR hood on my car that I purchased a while back.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

This isn't getting any better... just when I kinda thought things were fixed the clock stayed on yet again. I was able to start the car and let it ran for a bit. I then filled up on gas since I needed it and made it home. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it and yet the light still stayed on after the battery was reconnected. I opened up the kick panel and it doesn't seem wet... I kinda think a fuse got messed up or something but at this time of night it's hard to get in there and see... especially with all the rain and water that won't stop. Plus I have no garage to do this in. So for now I guess the best thing to do was just unplug the battery and I'll probably have to keep doing that each time I park the car so that this doesn't happen.

What do you guys think I should do? It seems pretty likely that something got messed up by water in the smart junction box perhaps. I do not know. Should I just take it to the dealership? The car is no longer under warranty so do you think they'll charge a lot to diagnosis and fix it? I can't really afford that right now...

And SirKnight... thanks for the tip. I got the window setting back to normal.

Last edited by VictoriaRR; 12-18-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Damn sorry to hear of this problem(s) Victoria. Sounds like the smart junction did get wet and fouled something in the electrical system. I would check to see if all fuses are clean and dry and if any moisture is in the box get something to blow it out and dry it (air compressor or wet/dry vac -make sure the fuses are in place and secure) and hope that it helps. Every time the battery wont start the car it shortens the life of that battery. It doesn't take much CCA to get a car started that is dry and warm so maybe a new battery is in order. Optima yellow top is great but only after the problem is fixed. Do you know anyone that can test to see if current is being drawn from the battery when the car if off? If you have amp draw (like from a shaker 500) that is most likely your issue as the clock is part of the radio (even if it is NOT the shaker). Mine was solved by turning the radio off before shutting the car down and getting a battery tender for the stock motorcraft battery and its been 3 yrs and not one issue....its a fix for me but not quite the most convenient for those like you that use the car as a DD.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Victoria....you are having a time girl!!

I hate to hear the car is having troubles...it really is a very nice looking car. I hope you get it all figured out soon.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

VIctoria did you check the floor yet for wetness in the passenger area floor? If it is wet you need to get to a body shop and have them replace the missing seal (their is a bulletin from the factory on this) and the dealer should fix it in or out of warrantee. Your car will always go dead and have major electrical snafus until you get this done. Happened to me and I got it done by the dealer's body shop for free.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
VIctoria did you check the floor yet for wetness in the passenger area floor? If it is wet you need to get to a body shop and have them replace the missing seal (their is a bulletin from the factory on this) and the dealer should fix it in or out of warrantee. Your car will always go dead and have major electrical snafus until you get this done. Happened to me and I got it done by the dealer's body shop for free.
ANybody have a part number on this missing seal you are referring to? Might be easier to fix by ones self...especially if the dealership doesn't play nice.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I had an issue with my battery a little while back.

Funny thing was... most of the symptoms were similar, except for the clock staying on.

My battery was shorting out because I had neglected to maintain the water level in it.

Nevertheless a red-top battery fixed that.

For you, well, I would check your cabin air filter intake. The one that supposedly costs the dealer $100 to do but we can replace for $10 - there have been known areas of leaks in/around this area.

Hope this break in the weather helps you out a little.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
I did, yes, and the carpet wasn't wet as far as I could tell.

Same thing happened tonight... only the clock wasn't on so I don't know why the battery power went out. Because I didn't suspect there would be a problem I locked the car and when I got out of work I had issues. I couldn't unlock the car with the remote since the battery was out... and because the lock on my door was damaged during a break-in sometime ago, I couldn't open the door that way. So I went in through the trunk but couldn't get the backseat down. My manager at one of my jobs got involved and he found someone that had Triple A that was able to get a tow truck to my work and open up the door and then jumpstart the car. I unplugged the battery upon getting home... my dad said he'd stop by the dealer tomorrow (in Texas) and see what they tell him about correcting this issue.

*sigh*

Quick Reply: Strange little episode I had with my car...