Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightest rims in S197 offset for ~$300 ea.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:59 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Hootna
I thought this was ineresting. Trying to find any info on weights and this isnt for the s197 but they show that there is a difference between the weight of the Ultralite wheels and the finish. I wouldnt think there is that big of a difference if they are chromed or satin finish. I would think Steeda would have the exact weights if you called them or could pull a rim and weigh it for you. Plus looks like they have them on sale at the moment I bought them on sale and spent the money I saved to get mine powder coated. Nice rims that fit great and will clear any big brake kit, this was my biggest worry and they clear but just barely...

http://www.modularrevolution.com/Weight.htm
WOW! there was an 8 lb difference from the satin 03-04 Cobra wheels to the Chrome ones for the same yrs! Those were 18's!......I know I lost some HP with the 20's and to add to that I have them in chrome. I knew chrome weighed more but I did not think the difference would be that great......I just love the look to much to care and thats yet another reason for the power adder (numbers in sig are stock everything except obviously the S/C!)
Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Not that I am switching up my new rims/tires...but just for my own info.

I am a huge dirtbiker and go through a dozen tires a year. There is a MASSIVE difference in tire weights in similar class tires by brand. Unsprung weight ona dirtbike is king and a single pound is very easy to feel.

I have never noticed published tire weights on cars. Are some brands generally lighter? Or are summer tires generally lighter?

Seems that is where some significant savings could take place without even touching the wheels.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I knew that chrome plating added a few pounds per wheel... that's why I've stayed away from it. Looks real nice though...

I'm going for the business look this time with either powdercoated or black wheels. I was looking at the black Steeda Pentars with their "on-car" utility from the steeda website. I was ready to click purchase on the ultralights when I saw those. They would look really great on my alloy color car!!! I'm going to have to see how much more they weigh over the ultralights. The Pentars are really growing on me.

I like those wedssports too.. those wheels are tight! For some reason they don't show up in the 07' mustang specific category. I could have sworn I saw those before and they had the correct offset for s197. nice wheels.

Thanks for the help guys, you're really helping me to finally decide.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Carbon fiber and/or magnesium wheels are the only way to shed most of the weight, but they're pricey. Steeda's ultralite's are heavier than I expected when I was shopping for wheels.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Rubrignitz, order yourself some 99-04 offset saleen s style wheels in all black from american muscle. I'm not sure about the weight of them or anything, but they will look AMAZING on your car =)
Old 12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I dunno, I just qualified for financing through Steeda and I'm in the process right now of registering for their forums to see how much the pentar's weigh.

I'm starting to love those wheels!! 18x9.5'' so they will fit up to a 305/35 DR but I think I'm going to get them with 275/40-18 Nitto INVO's all the way around for street use. The INVO's are non-directional and can be rotated if needed (something my current BFG KDW-2's are in dire need of).

I've had these BFG's and 20'' shelby razors on the car since new and I'm holding my breath that one doesn't just die at any minute. They have 30k miles on them.

I'm not paying for 20'' size tires any more... don't need the weight or the pricing for those monsters.

The Pentars are so cheap I could get another set of 2 w/ the DR's mounted up...
Old 12-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Check it out:
Attached Thumbnails Lightest rims in S197 offset for ~0 ea.-alloy_black_pentars.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

the black steeda pentars are just a nasty rim(nasty in a good way)...thinking about them for my limer..they would look sick on just about any car.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, it appears that the lightest Steeda 18x9.5's are the ultralite 1's (part # 004-9289512s-45) at 23 lbs.

The ultralite 2's are about 24 lbs.

The pentars weigh about 28 lbs ea. Man the pentars look soooo good though. I may just have to get them...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:43 PM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Shopping new wheels is killing me... I'm not willing to spend $400+ per rim for forged liteweight and had settled on Steeda "ultra" lights until I heard that the 18x9.5'' weighs 28 lbs!!!

My current 20'' Shelby Razors weigh 28 lbs ea. and I figure to shave "substantial" weight I need to find some 18x9/10's in the <25 lb range.

any ideas appreciated!
I have the wheel for you if your looking for a light wheel. Let me know what you think. PM
and I'll hook you up. That goes for everybody that is interest. Merry Christmas!

18x9 25lbs
18x10 25lbs

18x9 25lbs
18x10 25lbs

Quick Reply: Lightest rims in S197 offset for ~$300 ea.