Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really stupid steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i guess that is good news, but 300 still seems like a heck of a lot for a steering wheel, imo

it is better than 400 though
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure but I think I remember seeing some Bullitts with the satin spokes on the steering wheel. Remember the photos from Monterrey where they all drove the new Bullitts down from Frisco? Some had different steering wheels.

Is our resident Bullitt owner in?

edit:
I found it:
http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/200...itt/1000128054

Just a stock GT wheel with the bullitt insert

Last edited by Orion_240; 12-21-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 AM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

sell yours on ebay and just buy this...i agree with the feel of the bullitt steering wheel, feels awesome. maybe in the summer i will go for it!

check it out vvvvvvvvv

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=660cPath=15
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

go searching through online Mustang parts websites, I've come across a couple selling Bullitt steering wheels... then when you get it, just pop off the "metal" trim and glue on your old sating aluminum one instead... I would recommend having your mechanic switch the steering wheels for you though, it can be a PITA if the air bag pops in your face
Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Originally Posted by A_Drunken_Llama
go searching through online Mustang parts websites, I've come across a couple selling Bullitt steering wheels... then when you get it, just pop off the "metal" trim and glue on your old sating aluminum one instead... I would recommend having your mechanic switch the steering wheels for you though, it can be a PITA if the air bag pops in your face

if i am not mistaken the leather wrapped spokes of the bullitt wheel are thicker than whatever the aluminum attaches too

otherwise, yeah, i would have already done this mod and shown everybody pics of how great it looks
Old 12-21-2008, 10:14 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Extensive scientific research...(a trip to the driveway with a piece of string) has now shown that the Bullitt steering wheel is actually slimmer than the GT steering wheel.......By 1/8 of an inch....4 1/8th vs. 4 inches in girth...........THE STEERING WHEEL!!!

That said, if you look at the pics, the satin spokes actually cut into the wheel, not just cap over them.....

When I eventually replace the wheel in my GT, I will either leave the bottom spoke the dark argent, or, possibly just replace that bottom spoke with the satin piece...and not touch the two side spokes....

The wheel feel of the Bullitt steering wheel is much better. But I believe it to be more about the material, i.e. a bit more coarse leather feel, as opposed to the very smooth slick feel of the GT wheel. I really don't thing the 1/8 inch difference in diameter is that noticable.

I have said all along that the two things I would like to switch from the Bullitt to the GT are the steering wheel, and the seats......So much nicer......

Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah an upholstery shop can easily alter the leather so the aluminum trim cam fit.
I couldn't tell you the $ amount they would charge but it sure is doable.

Oh, and I like the idea
Old 12-21-2008, 04:39 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

were can i get a replacement center cap? like were it says bullit mine has a dent in it
Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

They're not sold separately.
I think there's a TSB on the regular tri-bar Pony emblem...
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Default Sterring Wheel Thickness

I too am an advocate for a thicker wheel. It helps grip if you have large hands and long fingers. I modded my factory wheel right after I bought the car by adding a leather cover over the factory leather cover. You can buy them aftermarket and stitch them yourself and they look just as good as the factory ones.

Don't go cheap though, I think I paid like $80 for the one I got. I think it was from wheelskins.

UB10

Quick Reply: Really stupid steering wheel question