Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decrease the value?

Old 06-03-2005, 01:28 AM
mustang7171
1st Gear Member

Default Decrease the value?

Every since I've heard my dad talk about cars he's always said after market stuff decreases value of cars. He is one of the old fashioned stock guys...Guess we all know one or two of those. I ordered the flowmasters esp. made for the 2005 mustang GT and thinking about getting the SLP loudmouths instead and just selling the flows....Long story short yet again he has managed to scare me and says that putting the flows on my 05 GT is going to decrease the value and they wont last long. anyone have any uplifting (or even negative) insight on this situation? also, loudmouths or flows??[&o][&o]
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Decrease the value?

Bassani!! Keep the stockers and put them on someday when you sell the car - then sell your aftermarket pipes.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:33 AM
mustang7171
1st Gear Member

thanks for the reassurance. gotta get outta this shell!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

That's the one thing that scares me about adding the sunroof. My only solice is that I likely won't EVER sell it (unless it gets wrecked)... so it won't matter. I made zero mods to my '94... I was/am really a "stock" kind of guy. Although a hood scoop
sure would look good. Dang, another irreversable mod.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Ya just make sure you can de-modify it if nessessary. No one is gonna not buy the car because of an exhaust. Track time will scare people off. I wouldn't brag about how fast you took it in the 1/4.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 AM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

There's a couple reasons aftermarket parts decrease a car's value:

1. Something the buyer doesn't like (mostly styling, maybe MPG-robbing performance mods)
2. Performance mods might lead the buyer to assume you've raced the hell out of the engine, and that it might be on it's last leg.

Keeping a car stock leads the buyer to assume everything is as it should be after however many years. Luckily, most parts can be swapped back to stock parts like delurker said. Want a hood scoop? Get another hood along with it (these generally come out looking much better anyway).

So don't fear mods, just think ahead if you think you'll be selling your stang soon. And if you don't sell your stang for 10 years, a few mods probably won't change the value much at all...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustang7171

Every since I've heard my dad talk about cars he's always said after market stuff decreases value of cars. He is one of the old fashioned stock guys...Guess we all know one or two of those. I ordered the flowmasters esp. made for the 2005 mustang GT and thinking about getting the SLP loudmouths instead and just selling the flows....Long story short yet again he has managed to scare me and says that putting the flows on my 05 GT is going to decrease the value and they wont last long. anyone have any uplifting (or even negative) insight on this situation? also, loudmouths or flows??[&o][&o]
Decrease the value to whom? The only person whose opinion matters about my car is me!! And adding mods increases the value to me. I say do what you want to your car... what price do you put on total enjoyment?

For me, this is not an investment... it is a permanent part of me now. I will never sell this car... after 100K+ miles or so, it will undergo a powerplant transfer and will be resurrected as a 9-second track warrior (and occasional street menace).

I may be the only one who thinks this way, but you asked for our thoughts... my 2 cents.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:46 AM
mustang7171
1st Gear Member

don_w you're so right but it's easier said than done for me...after it's been drilled into my head that it's gonna totally f everything up if i do one little mod to my car. just new to it all and really dont know anything about workin on cars...sad but true.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:49 AM
mustang7171
1st Gear Member

wldstng i'd def be scared about adding the sunroof no matter how much i knew about cars. i cant image cutting into the top of my car like that!!! OUCH! [sm=icon_quiet.gif]
Old 06-03-2005, 02:51 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

If it's Your car, then do what you want to personalise it. You can be sure that most of us here sure do! Be sure to do a professional job and use the best parts, tho. Hmm, I think Ill run a poll of how many folks modified there cars and how many are leavin' 'em stock. Anyway, Just plan on keepin' it for awhile. It aint easy to find a buyer who likes the same conglomeration of mods that you did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decrease the value?