Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I forget?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 AM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

It's like riding a bicycle, once you learn you never forget!!
I knew how to drive a stick since i was like 13 (shhh dont tell my dad i would take his vw fox he had) and i went about two years before driving a stick again when he got rid of it and when i started driving stick again i had absolutely no problem driving it!! Just got to get a feel for the clutch and you'll be good!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:08 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

May I recommend some nice shoes for the time you pull her out from hibernation?

I was wearing oakley carts before and now I wear puma drift cats. The pumas are cheaper by a good margin. ~60bux.

I can drive my baby with construction boots but nothing feels like driving the car with shoes with very thin soles.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 AM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

My first car was a stick and after it died I went five or so years before my next stick.. It took me a hour or so to get the timing down again.. You'll have no problem.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 AM
JD57
1st Gear Member

You can get a Ducati for your first motorcycle. Just get the 696, it is very
user friendly and has a low seat height.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
When I finally learned how to really "give it the gas", I started doing MUCH better. I was surprised that the more I revved the car, the better it reacted. I think when I was first learning, I was just too timid with the gas.
That's a common problem when you're just starting to learn. You're afraid that too much throttle will break something or put yourself in "over your head". When I was learning, the H.S. driver ed instructor had to yell "GAS! GAS! GAS!" at me a couple of times until I caught on.

You'll come back to it just fine. Our kids learned on manual tranny cars (had to), but have since owned AT cars. When they drive any of mine they seem to pick it back up without difficulty. According to my 30-something daughter who I just this minute asked, the only snag is remembering to step on the clutch so that turning the key makes anything happen.

A word about footwear - anything with a flexible sole, because that gives you better "feel".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-26-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

you will be fine shella!!! i learned 2 drive stick on a international dump and the gt500 was worlds diff...and i was fine after my first winter of rest!!! u will be so happy 2 get back in her that u wont even think about it and just do it
Old 12-26-2008, 02:14 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'll take your words on it.....I sure can't get it out in this crazy weather we are having around these parts! It will be like getting a new car all over again when I finally do get to drive it again~!

Anytime I get lonely...I go out in the garage and sit with them. LOL!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You'll pick it back up no problem. You know you've made it when you can shift with the left hand while juggling a drink and an order of fries, lol.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
May I recommend some nice shoes for the time you pull her out from hibernation?

I was wearing oakley carts before and now I wear puma drift cats. The pumas are cheaper by a good margin. ~60bux.

I can drive my baby with construction boots but nothing feels like driving the car with shoes with very thin soles.
I feel like the lighter the shoe the better i can drive!!! IDK maybe it's just me....I have some Air Jordan 13's and those almost weigh nothing and i love driving in those shoes compared to driving in my Timberlands which weigh about 5 pounds each....LOL
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

you'll be just fine

Quick Reply: Will I forget?