Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Saleen Heritage wheels - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default New Saleen Heritage wheels - Questions

My Awesome Wife gave me new 19" Saleen Heritage wheels in chrome for Christmas. I plan on putting tires on this spring with income tax money. I've settled on using the same size as the Dan Gurney edition car. 285/35/19 rear and 285/30/19 front. The front may get a variation, but not the rear. Anywho, I've seen the saleen center cap on this wheel and I'm not really impressed. Does anyone know where I can get the Gurney center caps at? Or if you have a recommendation, please make it and provide pics.

Any place cheaper than tire rack? I thought they used to provide free mounting certificates with their tires. what happened to that? Or was I mistaken? 19's are retarded expensive. Right now it looks like Kumho Ecsta SPT's are what I can afford.

Lastly, because of the price of tires, lowering may or may not happen. If I lower, What do I NEED. Only the absolutely must haves, please. I'm guessing an alignment is a must. Adjustable panhard seems to be debateable. I can add that after the alignment without problems right? I'd like to wait and see on the panhard. Anything else?

Take a look at this car in the links below. Its a saleen car and has their springs. But is it lowered? Will my stock suspension sit like that? If so, then I dont need to lower 'cause I like how that car looks. Lots of questions, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say! Thanks.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/salee...ealers/862039/
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/salee...ealers/862041/
Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Really? No one has any opinions? Maybe I should change the title to "What will it take to beat Lamborghini?".
Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Take a look at this car in the links below. Its a saleen car and has their springs. But is it lowered? Will my stock suspension sit like that? If so, then I dont need to lower 'cause I like how that car looks. Lots of questions, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say! Thanks.
I have the stock suspension and cannot lower because of driveway issues, so I have done some research on this. The tire sizes I would go with on a stock suspension and 19s would be 275/40/19s. If the wheels are staggered, I would go with 245/45/19s front and 275/40/19s rear.

The sizes I provided above would actually reduce the wheel-well gap on a stock suspension because the diameter of the tire is actually .4 inches taller than the stock 18" wheel/tire combo. If you put on the 285/30/19s-285/35/19s without lowering (1.5" smaller and .4" smaller than stock respectively), you will have a ton of wheel-well gap.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

i gon't think you can get the gunnery caps. what kind of caps came with the heritage wheels? were they saleen?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Jd: I thought about taller sidewalls as you suggested, but i've seen pictures with wheel/tire setup like that on these wheels and really didnt like em at all. The 35/30 sidewalls I do like. I guess I will have to lower, huh?

07tungsten: They were from ebay and didnt come with center caps. Saleen caps can be bought from saleen for $40 for the set. Ford smokes crack and thinks their plastic caps are worth $60 a piece!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Jd: I thought about taller sidewalls as you suggested, but i've seen pictures with wheel/tire setup like that on these wheels and really didnt like em at all. The 35/30 sidewalls I do like. I guess I will have to lower, huh?
The tire sidewall will actually be less than a stock 18" wheel with a 235/50/18, so I don't think that they will look too tall. But to each their own!

Sidewall height off the rim with 235/55/17: 5.10 inches STOCK 27.2" Diameter Tire
Sidewall height off the rim with 235/50/18: 4.65 inches STOCK 27.3" Diameter Tire
Sidewall height off the rim with 275/40/19: 4.35 inches MY CHOICE 27.7" Diameter Tire
Sidewall height off the rim with 285/35/19: 3.95 inches 26.9" Diameter Tire
Sidewall height off the rim with 285/30/19: 3.40 inches 25.8" Diameter Tire

Yea, you will have to lower if you go with 35/30 sidewalls.

Remember, the lower you go with the sidewall height, the rougher the ride will be.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking Ford Racing springs. Thats about as mild as it gets isnt it?
Thanks for the chart! I was wanting to look that up.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Even Steven
1st Gear Member

I was thinking Ford Racing springs. Thats about as mild as it gets isnt it?
Thanks for the chart! I was wanting to look that up.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a brand new set of 19x10 (rear) & 19x9 (front) Chrome Heritage wheels and I'm been researching my tire options. Here's what I have decided to do:

I'm going with 285/35/19 tires in the back and 275/40/19 up front. I don't really want to lower my Stang, but I decided to get a set of Roush rear springs because they lower the rear just 1". A small rear drop like that with the 285/35 tire will look perfect and get rid of the rear wheel well gap without really looking lowered.

BTW, the Roush springs are very inexpensive (about $120 for both) and are a very simple bolt-on. And of course no alignment needed.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
BTW, the Roush springs are very inexpensive (about $120 for both) and are a very simple bolt-on. And of course no alignment needed.

Even with the minimal drop of the Roush springs, you still probably need an adjustable panhard bar. I installed them on mine (rear only for now) and did a quick measurement afterwards, and found the rear has shifted about 1/2in. Nothing too major, but I still plan to do the adj. panhard bar to square things up.

But for the money, the Roush's are a good way to go if want a minimal drop and are the only ones you can purchase by axle. Especially if you find a killer deal like mine as I found a new set (still sealed in the Roush box) for $75 delivered
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
limitedex
2nd Gear Member

Just go Eibach Pro.

Quick Reply: New Saleen Heritage wheels - Questions