Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: electric water pump install w/ pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

yeah,im going to set my aeroforce gauge to let me know if the temp goes higher than normal,that will probably be the easist way to make sure its always working.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

I'm going to be installing the Meziere pump this spring so thanks for the write up. One question, how do you monitor water temp? The factory temp gauge is just a head temp gauge. Are you using the aeroforce to give you an actual head temp? I don't believe there are any water temp sensors. I was thinking about adding a water temp gauge but was wondering where people are tapping into to install the sending unit. Again, thanks for the great write up.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I installed a dummy light that comes on when pump powers up so if the fuse blows to the pump the light will not be on. Hopefully if the pump locks up it will blow the fuse.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaStangGT
I'm going to be installing the Meziere pump this spring so thanks for the write up. One question, how do you monitor water temp? The factory temp gauge is just a head temp gauge. Are you using the aeroforce to give you an actual head temp? I don't believe there are any water temp sensors. I was thinking about adding a water temp gauge but was wondering where people are tapping into to install the sending unit. Again, thanks for the great write up.
im using the aeroforce gauge to minotor head temp,im going to set one of the lights to trip at 230 degrees, that should always let me know if te pump is not working. i think i will see a much more dramatic drop in temps with the new thermostat.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

So i'll definitely be doing this as soon as i can afford an electric water pump...

would i have enough room if i dont remove the fan?
and hmm $5 shipped for your custom tool??? =]

does the belt still go over the pump or does it completely avoid it now? and did you do this from the top or did you go under the car to work?

thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

Now this is what forums are all about! Thanks for taking the time to document this and post it up for everybody.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slowstang06
So i'll definitely be doing this as soon as i can afford an electric water pump...

would i have enough room if i dont remove the fan?
and hmm $5 shipped for your custom tool??? =]

does the belt still go over the pump or does it completely avoid it now? and did you do this from the top or did you go under the car to work?

thanks
it would be pretty tight to try it with the fans still in there, but the fans come out real easy, 2 bolts and they lift out. 30 seconds max.

you could probably find the tool at sears or soemthing, you need a 6mm hex head that is made to go in at a angle, i have seen them before but never picked up a set my self, other option would be to use the 6mm and wrench,that might also work.its a awkard position for sure.

the water pump has a pulley on the front that is just there to keep the belt in the stock location,it does nothing except spin like one of the idler pulleys.

everything was from the top, it was a very easy project.

i took the car for a 2 hour cruise today with lots of red lights to see what a difference it was making in stop go traffic, thats the main reason i did the new pump, because in stop/go traffic i was seeing temps in the 230 range. well it never got above 208 the whole day so needless to say im very happy witht he results and now im not worried about any over heating once the turbo goes in.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

so how many rwhp are you picking up....(i know you are just seeing more from the crank to the wheels rather than gaining actual hp)
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

they say its 11-14hp, i will never really know for sure but i did feel a difference. i added the UDP a few days before and felt a slight difference , that was more of a smoother acceleration, witht he water pump i felt that same sort of acceleration. just seems like it takes less effort to get the rpms up.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
it would be pretty tight to try it with the fans still in there, but the fans come out real easy, 2 bolts and they lift out. 30 seconds max.

you could probably find the tool at sears or soemthing, you need a 6mm hex head that is made to go in at a angle, i have seen them before but never picked up a set my self, other option would be to use the 6mm and wrench,that might also work.its a awkard position for sure.

the water pump has a pulley on the front that is just there to keep the belt in the stock location,it does nothing except spin like one of the idler pulleys.

everything was from the top, it was a very easy project.

i took the car for a 2 hour cruise today with lots of red lights to see what a difference it was making in stop go traffic, thats the main reason i did the new pump, because in stop/go traffic i was seeing temps in the 230 range. well it never got above 208 the whole day so needless to say im very happy witht he results and now im not worried about any over heating once the turbo goes in.
woah then how do you drain the coolant

Quick Reply: DIY: electric water pump install w/ pictures