Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you paint chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
war machine 115
2nd Gear Member

Will a chrome rim be able to be powdercoated and have a polished or chrome lip? Reason I ask is I've been looking around for rims and the ones i really want are discontinued in black with chrome lip. They still sell the chrome rims in the same style though. I was thinking of getting them in chrome then having them powdered gloss black with a chrome lip. How well would the finish hold up on a DD?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

What about wheels with an anthracite finish on them? I was thinking of painting mine gloss black.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by war machine 115
Will a chrome rim be able to be powdercoated and have a polished or chrome lip? Reason I ask is I've been looking around for rims and the ones i really want are discontinued in black with chrome lip. They still sell the chrome rims in the same style though. I was thinking of getting them in chrome then having them powdered gloss black with a chrome lip. How well would the finish hold up on a DD?
I'm skeptical there as well...
If you somehow, manage to strip the inside only with sulfuric acid using a special brush, it could be done with good result.

I wish my bullits had a chrome lip instead of polished... easier maintenance.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

You can paint straight onto chrome, there is a special paint that is used for it. Unfortunately no other paint you can buy anywhere will paint chrome. It costs $400 just to get enough paint to paint and clear coat all 4 wheels.

The only other process that works is powder coating, which uses static electricity to attach little pellets of plastic to the wheel and then encases it in a plastic shell when you put the whole thing in an oven and melt the pellets together while they are stuck to the metal wheel.

Other than the above any paint will come off right after you put it on.

I used this chrome painting process for my wheels because I wanted to only paint half of the chrome instead of all of it and mask it off in a pattern. Powder coating is difficult to get a clean line with (as the coating is twenty times thicker than paint). so that's what worked.

Last edited by Legion5; 01-04-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Legion5

I used this chrome painting process for my wheels because I wanted to only paint half of the chrome instead of all of it and mask it off in a pattern. Powder coating is difficult to get a clean line with (as the coating is twenty times thicker than paint). so that's what worked.
How long ago and how's the aging process on that?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

you can paint them but most likely will chip my friend painted his chrome 22s on his truck IT CAN BE DONE
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

It's almost been exactly 11 months. The paint holds up as well as any other paint on the car. It's not indestructible as one of the wheels got a rock chip or maybe a hit from a wheel wrench which damaged the special clear coat. This didn't go through to the color though but the result therefore is not perfect, but probably a little better than the average powder coating considering . (yes you heard right).
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
you can paint them but most likely will chip my friend painted his chrome 22s on his truck IT CAN BE DONE
lol and after even if he did 7231 coats of paint it still will chip to the bare metal and soon.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Anthracite finish is usually just a paint. It shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as stripping/preparing chrome finish. Pascal is the resident expert on paint/body...

Originally Posted by CKurello
What about wheels with an anthracite finish on them? I was thinking of painting mine gloss black.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure why you would even want to.....be much less of a pain to just sell them and get what you want.

Quick Reply: Can you paint chrome wheels?