Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People who think the auto is just as fast as the manual...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:18 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: People who think the auto is just as fast as the manual...

I don't go to the track, maybe race around town a little bit, but my GT is not for commuting. So, for me, a manual tranny is just for the fun of driving. With a stick, I have the satisfaction of controlling the shifts, as opposed to something doing it for me.... they are all so great though!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greatgro

ORIGINAL: doc0075579
Just so you know, real stick drivers don't care. It's the people who CAN drive stick but don't love it that always say "I drive in too much traffic for a manual". Trust me, myself and I'm sure a lot of other manual lovers just plain love it. Driving in very heavy traffic with a stick is work, no doubt about it. But just one nice run through a cool road on the weekend makes up for commuting hell during the week.
I agree.. I love manuals. Now, I don't know how I would react to REAL heavy traffic (DC, Atlanta, St. Louis), but I do have a lot of stop and go and have to go through a check point (gov't facility) where I stop and go a bunch and I don't mind the shifting.. I just love a manual. In fact, right now I'm driving Nissan XT p/u 5 speed manual waiting on a GT manual. I can't wait to be reving and working it in traffic. It's just my preference.

My best friend has ONLY driven manuals (and he's 42) until he got a Jag (he CAN shift but no clutch). He drives terrible, TERRIBLE traffic in St. Louis (64/40 for 30+ miles one-way) and still complains about missing his 6 speed manual Firebird he sold last year. He kept his wifes hand-me-down Grand Cherokee for rain and snow - it was just more practical and had far less mileage (he only drives the Jag when it's nice. Point is (finally! that it IS just the drivers preference and not the traffic that matters. Call me old school, but I just gotta have a stick in a sports car.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 AM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

I have a manual, but the auto is getting better. The GTO automatic beat the manual by .10 on the 1/4 mile, ouch that hurt.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:10 AM
jjpony
1st Gear Member

Man Shifty, You sure know how to keep things lively. I like my manual no matter what time it takes to get from point A to B. I will agree that it runs just fine. I have never been what you would consider a race driver but after my Xcalibrator tune I was getting 2nd and 3rd gear scratches and that's impressive enough for me. Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 02:08 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

flyingt,

not to go off topic here, but you have one BADA$$ car.....[sm=groupwave.gif]

sorry,

carry on...
Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 AM
macca
1st Gear Member

This thread, unlike the other two current trannie threads is NOT about which is more fun or which we prefer but about 1/4 mile time comparisons. Just thought I would bring that up

It certainly is a comfort to know however that Shifty has once and for all settled which is faster. BTW, Shifty I am also in Houston and I bet my 5.7Hemi Ram (auto) could blow your GT away dude Wanna meet up and find out???
Old 06-05-2005, 10:00 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty

All I have done is exhaust and a tune. I saw a certain SOMONE who seems to think the auto is just as fast. He's running 4.10 gears, intake/exhaust, tune, and some other mods and he's only running 13.6 with his auto. Check and mate, stick>auto.
Are you looking for me? Leave it to a stick car to say my car ran two tenths slower and had a bunch of mods I don't have. Here I am. First of all, I ran a 13.41 at 103.39. Second I have stock exhaust. Third I have no other mods. Fourth I have a fully loaded Auto with the Shaker 1000 subs in the trunk. Fifth, I only had 1000 miles on the brand new motor. And Last but not least YOU HAD YOUR CAR DYNO TUNED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. My car has an out of the box tune running 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

When I get too lazy to drive a stick, I'll buy a Camry
Old 06-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: td1320

ORIGINAL: Shifty

All I have done is exhaust and a tune. I saw a certain SOMONE who seems to think the auto is just as fast. He's running 4.10 gears, intake/exhaust, tune, and some other mods and he's only running 13.6 with his auto. Check and mate, stick>auto.
Are you looking for me? Leave it to a stick car to say my car ran two tenths slower and had a bunch of mods I don't have. Here I am. First of all, I ran a 13.41 at 103.39. Second I have stock exhaust. Third I have no other mods. Fourth I have a fully loaded Auto with the Shaker 1000 subs in the trunk. Fifth, I only had 1000 miles on the brand new motor. And Last but not least YOU HAD YOUR CAR DYNO TUNED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. My car has an out of the box tune running 3/4 tank of gas.
Maybe you shouldn't assume I'm talking about you then? Wow, take a hint.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macca

This thread, unlike the other two current trannie threads is NOT about which is more fun or which we prefer but about 1/4 mile time comparisons. Just thought I would bring that up

It certainly is a comfort to know however that Shifty has once and for all settled which is faster. BTW, Shifty I am also in Houston and I bet my 5.7Hemi Ram (auto) could blow your GT away dude Wanna meet up and find out???
I saw a hemi ram beat a SRT-10 ram at the track that night. No thanks.

Quick Reply: People who think the auto is just as fast as the manual...