Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk HP+ Pads, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default Hawk HP+ Pads, Opinions?

Well, I've already bought the pads, but I've seen mixed reviews on them. I came across a thread on some forum showing how these pads had destroyed rotors... but then I also see plenty of threads showing support of these pads.

I trust this forum the most, as it's the one I know best!

So, with that said, those of you running HP+ Pads, what do you think?

I'll be using these for the road course in hope that I can shave a few seconds with better brakes!

Last edited by danbevsv6rumbler; 01-07-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I have the HPS pads on my car, and I love them. I have not done anything more than auto-x though. I have seen others recommended the HT-10s for track duty, but you might be able to get away with the HP+'s.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info.

Bad news. I just realized i got the wrong pads. Funny thing is, I ordered the HP Plus pads front and rear from two different places... and it looks like they both managed to send me the HPS pads instead.

Am I right or are the HPS and HP Plus now the same pad?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

my first thought was heck no, don't get the HP+..then i read your going on a road course. You've gotta take the HPS back..you won't get away with it. you'll get further than stock but your still asking for major trouble. For track use, especially a road race, strictly HP+ and they are excellent pads..although i've never used them i have no doubt on there quality as i've used other Hawk products in the past. HP+ and HPS are 2 very diffrent pads. HP+ have much better bite, they dont warp as fast, and they work best at higher operating temperatures that you'll see during track use. on the negative side: they pretty much destroy rotors, they are on the noisy side, they don't stop well..at all during normal driving operation. HP+ is still not Pure race pad, but its the absolute limit between street and track.. i'd recomend you drive it to the track, race the crap out of it, bring it back home and throw it away..if your driving right you wont have any pad left when you get home.

Last edited by Jbauer; 01-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

haha maybe i should just stick with the hps pads then? i do daily drive my car... don't want to burn through the rotors like crazy...

the stock pads have held up really well - either I'm not pushing the car hard enough, or I'm just blessed. I might just run them until I stop improving on lap times - then swap to even better pads to pick up those precious seconds.

i'm just upset because i paid for HP+ and got HPS pads... from BOTH companies. Granted one sells the HPS and HP+ front pads for the same price, so it understandable why they could have made a mistake... but still!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

There are a lot of people on here who take their stangs to road courses on hawk pads. I'm sure they will chime in soon.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

bump!!!

i just picked up the right pads from stillen!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Well, for anyone interested...

My first impression is WOW! They hook quite nicely once up to temp. Only thing is after 10 higher speed/hard stops (burnishing instructions per Hawk Performance) they've already begun to make their own wear pattern - something tells me they'll probably go through the rotors a LOT faster. Regardless though we'll see how things hold up on sunday!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I used a set of HP+ on the rear of my car for about 7 track days and 3-4 months of street driving. They worked pretty well. I then switched to HT-10 on the rear. I have to disagree with some of the posts above - my experience was they do not "eat" rotors. At the end of the season my rear rotors look great. The first several track days I kept a record, measuring the rotor thickness with a caliper after each event. I didn't see any change, maybe over the course of a season I would have but its so minimal its not worth worrying about. Now on the front, its a different story. The problem will not be "eating" or wear, it will be heat checking. You will crack the rotors long before you ever wear them out. Take a look at this picture, this is what happens to front rotors in just a couple of events. It gets much worse until eventually (within about 7-8 track days) you will be able to catch your finger nail on the cracks, then its time to replace. Also, I ran HT-10s on the front (harder pad than the HP+) and I thought they were just fine on the street, a little noisy and dusty but I didn't have any issues with cold stopping power.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Whats a good break pad for just normal driving? I dont take the car to the track...but I do like to rev it up everynow and then. Should I just go to Ford and get new stock pads?

Quick Reply: Hawk HP+ Pads, Opinions?