Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter washing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default Winter washing question

I am just wondering how you all wash your cars in the winter? Would it be bad for me to go outside and spray my car with the water hose in 21 deg or colder temps? I hate all the salt that is all over my car and I am just edge'n to wash it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

IMO if you're driving it thru the Winter (as I am mine) then go to the "all cloth" car wash with undercarriage spray @ least weekly to keep the salt off.. your paint's getting rubbed with dirt and salt when you're clearing off the snow & ice anyway, so the car wash is the least of our worries.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

You need to go to a touch-less carwash that also sprays underneath the car. They also have the big 'ol dryer at the end of it. It's not nearly as good as a hand wash, but it'll do. Main thing is to get that salt off from underneath the car.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

i use a cloth and bucket in my garage, works just fine for me here in chicago. not the best wash but it gets the salt off.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

+1 to the brushless car wash with undercarrage spray
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I'm about to order some Optimum No Rinse to get my car nice and clean without getting too cold, but i dont have to worry about road salt.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I hate this salt and what it does to the cars. Luckily, I am moving to Texas in March and can't wait to get out of these salty roads!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, I think I will go to a brushless car wash and get it cleaned.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

When it's below freezing, I take two buckets of soapy water w/ hand mitts to the car wash. I spray the car down with their soapy water via the hand wand. I have to do the complete cycle, because I can't stop the timer. I then quickly wash the car with the stuff I brought - one bucket & mitt for the wheels & underside and the other for the top and sides. I then pay for another cycle and rinse with regular water then the DI water.

Don't overfill the buckets or they will splash over when traveling in your trunk.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

IMO the amount of $ spent on a carwash everyweek after 21 weeks of winter (about like it is in Milwaukee) At $16 a wash you may as well buy a $500 beater because it will pay for itself in 2 winters. Then you have peace of mind
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vaporstang
When it's below freezing, I take two buckets of soapy water w/ hand mitts to the car wash. I spray the car down with their soapy water via the hand wand. I have to do the complete cycle, because I can't stop the timer. I then quickly wash the car with the stuff I brought - one bucket & mitt for the wheels & underside and the other for the top and sides. I then pay for another cycle and rinse with regular water then the DI water.

Don't overfill the buckets or they will splash over when traveling in your trunk.
LOL...did you learn this the hard way?

Quick Reply: Winter washing question