Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a head unit to replace the Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for a head unit to replace the Shaker 500

So I think we can all agree the shaker 500 head unit sucks. I would like to replace it with something that will add GPS, XM/Sirius, Bluetooth, etc... Couple questions though....

Number one is will this work with the current Sirius antenna built in the car and also with the current speakers and built in AUX port in the arm rest (Love its placement there for the iPod hookup)

Second would be obviously which to go with. I was just at Best Buy and they had a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT which looked really nice. Its hard to judge in a store because you cant play with the GPS and hear the audio quality because its not hooked up.

Any suggestions would be awesome!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

A friend of mine just put a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT into his 2001 Mercury Cougar and I love it. I know for a fact that it would also fit better in our cars than his cougar. They had to do some grinding to get it into his car.

Anyhow, the unit itself is great. I love playing with it. The audio on the GPS works well and everything else seems to be cool and fun to play with. He got a rear view camera to go with it so that's also cool. Now about the iPod hookup issue, he got his to come out of his glove box(personal choice during installation) but with our cars I'm not sure how that might work. It might disable the one in our center console and we could re-route the new one where ever we'd like I guess..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

The 900BT Sirius adapter (the Sirius adapter is not made by pioneer - unlike the XM adapter, which is) has issues. Take a look at Crutchfield.com and read the feedback. It is generally negative in this regard. I was looking at that model too and that's the only thing that held me back. If anyone has any experience regarding using Sirius Satellite Radio with this unit, please reply to this post.

Thanks,

Dustin

Last edited by d_ames117; 01-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I have a avic D3 and I think what your looking at is the newer version. They are VERY nice radios, and I have done alot with systems and installs. The only thing I was not sure of is if the shaker systems have amps some where. I know I ended up pulling the amps out of my 98 with the mach system... but then again I fiberglassed 2 kicker l7s into the rear seat also.

anyway, long story short, you might need a hi / low adapter too, just need to find that out before you order.

Also, I have done alot of buisness with these people, usualy have the best price, or if not price match most anything, and are really great to deal with. dont know what best buy has it at but here it is for 499 new
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...IC-F700BT.html
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton

Also, I have done alot of buisness with these people, usualy have the best price, or if not price match most anything, and are really great to deal with. dont know what best buy has it at but here it is for 499 new
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...IC-F700BT.html
What is the difference between the Pioneer 700BT, 900BT and 90BT? They all look the exact same on the outside.

That price is amazing though because Best Buy had it for $800 and sonic ectronix has it for $500.

Last edited by Tim From Cleveland; 01-08-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

avic F700BT is my favorite. the difference between the 700bt and 900 bt is a dvd player. the 900 will and the 700 wont. i dont know about the 90bt though.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
peter north
2nd Gear Member

the 700BT doesnt have a dvd player it only plays cds, the 900bt has a dvd player.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

the 90 is the "Premier" model. That used to be the competition equiv to all the regular models that pioneer has. What you gain is higher volt preamp outputs, and a few other audio tuning settings. If you are going to run amps, a good investment. Higher volt signals does 2 things.

A. you dont have to turn the radio up as loud, cause relatively speaking, its putting out a stronger signal.

B. You dont have to crank the gains on your amps to get them loud (higher volt signal means less amplification required)

###EDIT###
Also noticed the Premier comes with the Ipod interface cable. not sure if the regualr one came with that, costs like $60 though. Adds naitive on touch screen support for the IPod. you were worried about that port in the console... TBH, thats trash in sound and functionality. These cables are MUCH better sound, and you dont have to go anywhere to control Ipod. My wire is run into my glove box cause it was easy, and my IPod never leaves my glove box unless I am adding new music.

Last edited by JDWalton; 01-08-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

just checked, the non premier does not state the cable is included. So if you have a IPod and are considering getting the 900, get the 90, the cost of the cable almost covers the difference, you get the better preouts anyway, you still walk away 100 less then best buy, and Sonic throws in the install accessories.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

A couple of the ebay stores have the 90bt for under $650 with free shipping and as close to a perfect feedback rating as you'll see (like 99.8%).

Quick Reply: Looking for a head unit to replace the Shaker 500