Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergancy, need help.....Purchase date of the GT just moved up significantly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:57 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

You could probably get a new stang GT for about 23k, 2008's are still out there.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

C'mon buddy - man up. It's easy. Dealing on a car does not mean you have to be a jerk or a hard-a$$, just decide what you will pay for a car, offer it, then stick to it. Its your money!

First, do everything possible to line-up your financing or cash in advance!!!!! Once you find a car (in this market, time of year, if I had $14k to spend I'd be looking at cars up $17k) sit down, tell the salesperson, repeat after me, "I will buy that car right now for $XX,XXX out the door, including all taxes, tags, fees". That's it! Say nothing else. Wait for the salesman to say he can't do that, then you get up to leave. If he stops you then wait for the sales manager to come over and try to beat you up. Say the line again, "I'll buy that car right now for....". Hold your ground, you don't have to be a douchebag, just be firm. You'll either get the deal or you'll have to go to the next place and do the same thing over.

If you get the deal make absolutely certain the finance guy/gal doesn't slip something in at the last minute; remember, you are paying $XX,XXX total, not a cent more.

Good luck.

Last edited by ckone0814; 01-10-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Good poing, Jersey.

Years ago, I bought an Explorer with my wife. She HATES spending money (good for me). We didn't plan it this way, but she was visibly uncomfortable and ready to leave during negotiations. I wasn't getting my price and she said "I want to go home". So I shrugged my shoulders and got up - and then the sales guy said "OK".

Didn't plan it, but it worked like a champ.
ha ha. brings back memories... my wife was with me once buying a car (Volvo 240) for her.. she was an absolute beotch to the dealer guys. she had them squirming so much it made ME uncomfortable! we did get a great deal though!!!

Last edited by ckone0814; 01-10-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Just remember, you are buying the vehicle, not the salesman.
He is selling it to you. You already have the upper hand by being
the consumer with the $$. Its easy to find a new vehicle to buy.
But it is not as easy to find someone who is interested in buying
a new vehicle. Make sure they have your phone # and walk away
from any offers that dont fit your buying criteria. There will always
be another vehicle to look at somewhere else. The 2 buyer approach,
buyer not interested, friend pushes him into buying after getting a
good deal from the saleman in hopes for a sell that was not going
to happen in his eyes. And keeping them until the wee hours of the
night works like a charm also. The best is to work on them for a year
and a half like I did. They all knew me and it was a contest for them
to see who would actually get the sale from someone who didnt buy
the last few 100 times they came in. I got 3K under sticker on DEC 06.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Wow, a lot of great information/tips; I really appreciate it guys.

I am about to head out in about a hour to go look at one(there are 2-3 prospects on the lot, Bankston Ford).

-We will have instant financing/cash on the spot.

-Will not go above 14.5k (including tt&l) out the door

-I'm going with my dad and sister(lawyer, Miss Texas, on The Bacholer...lol what a dumb show IMO, but its ridiculous of the amount of people who recognize her and cut her deals

-We have general knowledge of buying...we have like 6 cars in our drive way lol; no we are not redneck...just have a large family; with two of us(my sister and I) in the market right now.

-And all the tips and information from y'all, which I am very grateful for; and will defiantly be put into practice today

Some last minute questions:
1. I have some other mustangs that look good at other dealers, should I print some pages of them and show them...or leave them in the car and just tell them that we have other options?

2. Two of the cars have the Ford Certified Pre-owned warranties on them, is it worth anything? I know there going to really push that hard.."ya I'm aware that your concerned about the reliability, but with the CPO, etc". Should that even be a factor in the price?

3. The all mighty KBB question....they have these vehicles overpriced, they know it, we know it; but will bringing up, like " you have it listed as this, but KBB has it listed wayy lower"....I don't know about this one, or if I should even bring it up; and just give them a price, and stay firm with them? This is the first time that I personally have been on a dealership, buying for myself; but not the first for my father or sister....So, we are trying to figure out the game plan here....A LOT of good information on here will be brought up.....Just wondering if y'all had any last minute suggestions? Ill check back in about 45. Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

KBB really doesnt mean a damn thing. It is strictly a GUIDE. Not gospel. Dealers do not use KBB when taking trade-ins, and dont use it to price them for resale. All dealers are going to have pricing room to negotiate, so yeah, they will be asking more than average for an average car.
ckone418 said it all. Line up your financing. Know how much you can afford and stick to it. Just dont expect to get a $20k car for $15k. Not likely to happen.
Last thing to add. I sold cars for 2 years, 1988-1990. It ALWAYS made me laugh when someone was sooooo stuck on a specific payment, and after they get through with aftermarket sales and the finance part of it, they end up with a payment $20-40 more. Why? They bought extended warranties (mostly a major waste of your money), paint protection, undercoating, etc, etc. They got all worked up over buying the car, then they let their guard down afterwards, and forgot to just say 'no'. If your a decent car guy and capable with a moderate set of tools, those warranties are useless.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
KBB really doesnt mean a damn thing.
Ditto. ESPECIALLY in today's market, with today's economy. The only price that matters is what you will pay. Trust me, I've bought three cars in the last 3 years by picking a number, what I thought was a ridiculous number, and sticking to it. I have family in the business and what matters is what a dealer has in a car. No guide can tell you that.

Keep in mind that new Stangs are being dealed-off big time. This has a HUGE drag effect on the used market for them.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clentonz
2. Two of the cars have the Ford Certified Pre-owned warranties on them, is it worth anything? I know there going to really push that hard.."ya I'm aware that your concerned about the reliability, but with the CPO, etc". Should that even be a factor in the price?
CPO is a profit generator. If you get it fine, but don't pay extra for it.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Frisbie17

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
KBB really doesnt mean a damn thing. It is strictly a GUIDE. Not gospel. Dealers do not use KBB when taking trade-ins, and dont use it to price them for resale. All dealers are going to have pricing room to negotiate, so yeah, they will be asking more than average for an average car.
ckone418 said it all. Line up your financing. Know how much you can afford and stick to it. Just dont expect to get a $20k car for $15k. Not likely to happen.
Last thing to add. I sold cars for 2 years, 1988-1990. It ALWAYS made me laugh when someone was sooooo stuck on a specific payment, and after they get through with aftermarket sales and the finance part of it, they end up with a payment $20-40 more. Why? They bought extended warranties (mostly a major waste of your money), paint protection, undercoating, etc, etc. They got all worked up over buying the car, then they let their guard down afterwards, and forgot to just say 'no'. If your a decent car guy and capable with a moderate set of tools, those warranties are useless.

Great point. I purchased my 2006 Mustang GT last Saturday. Researched cars online for two weeks. The car was online for a few weeks on autotrader and craigslist. I emailed the guy. We messaged back and forth for a week before I ever went to the dealership. I kept telling him I wanted a different car. I told him I wanted a red GT with stripes knowing they did not have one. This was a blue one. Went in and test drove it. Told him about all the other cars I was looking at that were same car for less money online that we were going to look at first. What I did not tell him was they all had double the miles. They are desperate to sell cars right now. I offered him a lowball price out the door that was 5K below KBB. He came back with I can do it if you pay the $239 dealer service fee. Well I drove it home an hour later.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frisbie17
Great point. I purchased my 2006 Mustang GT last Saturday. Researched cars online for two weeks. The car was online for a few weeks on autotrader and craigslist. I emailed the guy. We messaged back and forth for a week before I ever went to the dealership. I kept telling him I wanted a different car. I told him I wanted a red GT with stripes knowing they did not have one. This was a blue one. Went in and test drove it. Told him about all the other cars I was looking at that were same car for less money online that we were going to look at first. What I did not tell him was they all had double the miles. They are desperate to sell cars right now. I offered him a lowball price out the door that was 5K below KBB. He came back with I can do it if you pay the $239 dealer service fee. Well I drove it home an hour later.
good deal. places are loaded with inventory. they lose less money selling a car at a loss to a willing/able buyer than they do keeping it in inventory waiting for that big sale. there just aren't any buyers out there to take the risk. if you can do it, this is the best time ever to steal a car. it's unfortunate, i feel bad for them but this economy is dog-eat-dog.