Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

avic f700bt into S197

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Default avic f700bt into S197

has anyone put an avic f700bt into an s197 w/shaker 500 stock system? i am probably going to be installing mine here in a couple weeks, and couldn't find enough info on this.

specifically, do we still need to use the in-line voltage regulator thing to make the amp "turn on" signal 5 volts instead of 12 volts? and do we still need to switch pin locations on the mute wire like with the D3?

please anyone who has done this please help. i'm going into this with some audio experience, but none with an avic unit.

i read the how-to post in the taco-bill section, and i cant immagine it's much different, but hey, you never know.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

OneBadStang. I've installed two diffrent radios in my mustang and I installed the avic into my dads f150. If you need help with the install Ill be more than happy to.

Instead of the voltage regulator, I used a resistor that simply splices into the power wires. Works great
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

i installed a avic f90bt in my 07 gt however i didnt have the shaker system. the pioneer units are great. you can get the f90bt for only like 70 bucks more and its worth it. You get the $50 ipod cable included, 4v preouts, msn direct, dvd player, and 2 year warranty. i picked my up new from amazon about 3 months about for less than 700.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well, i got this unit for $400 brand new from a desperate person in debt. and it came with the ipod cable. but if i was paying retail i would get the f90bt.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rcj2000
i installed a avic f90bt in my 07 gt however i didnt have the shaker system. the pioneer units are great. you can get the f90bt for only like 70 bucks more and its worth it. You get the $50 ipod cable included, 4v preouts, msn direct, dvd player, and 2 year warranty. i picked my up new from amazon about 3 months about for less than 700.
what did you have to do (other than the resistor or voltage regulator thing) to get it working right? did you have to run a speed sensor wire like on the D3 write-up? do the fxxxbt series units need that? did you still have to swap pins on the mute wire and all that mumbo-jumbo?

here's what i figure on doing; ground the parking brake wire, swap pins on the mute wire and ground it with the parking brake and main ground, run a speed sensor wire (if any), and install the voltage regulator for the factory shaker amps.

am i messing this up badly, or is this ok?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

anyone?? please, help.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Youre going to ground the parking brake and that will take care of your issue of using stuff while driving. I think the gps in the unit wont let you mess with it unless you are stopped though which kinda sucks. Finding a place to ground the radio is a bit tough but if you look down below where the radio is mounted, there are two screws sticking up from the base of the car. Ground to those. I personally ignored the mute wire but grounding the speed wire is probably needed.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

there are two different ways to bypass the unit so you can use the GPS and video while driving. One is a software bypass, you downloand and make changes through the sd card. the other way is by swapping out one wire on the harness. I did the hardwire since it was so easy and it prevents any updates from messing up the bypass. on the install i did the VSS (speed wire) and would recommend you doing it cause without it the unit will be off any where from 100-300ft and its kinda annoying. i didnt have it done at first and when back and did it. since you have a mustang the speed wire is already part of the harness if you car has that speed control thing where it raises the volume when you go faster. so you can just tape into that.

a good place for info is avic411.com
Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ok, so do you remember the color/location of the speed wire? its cool that i dont have to run a wire to the engie control unit!

also, which wire was it that you switched for the bypass? the mute wire? yellow/black colored?

i just got the dash kit from a local shop for $20 (Metra Part #95-5812)
and the harness i ordered on-line from sonicelectronix.com (Metra Part # 70-5521)

hope i got the right stuff for a shaker 500 system replacment/install. and i also hope i'm on the right track with this bypass and speed wire jargan. please chime in if i'm not.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 PM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

i dont remember the VSS wire color. i think it was on the harness that goes into your arm rest??? i really dont remember. i think it was pink with a white strip, it not just all pink. But yes the hardwire by pass is the yellow.black wire.

The best place to go is avic411.com they have pictures and diagrams to show you how to do it. There are also ALOT of mods you can do to it since it runs windows like making it run faster, changing backgrounds, changing voices (i have KITT voice on mine), etc. the guys over on avic411.com are great and will help you out.

My name over there is Agent Jones

Quick Reply: avic f700bt into S197