Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about online shopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 PM
GTorangeGT
1st Gear Member

Default Question about online shopping

The SLP Axle-Back exhaust from americanmuscle.com says I have to buy the Pypes 2005+ Mustang 304 Stainless Steel Exhaust Hanger Kit.. Is that true or can I just install them with the ones on the car with ease?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
washamur
3rd Gear Member

Well I don't know if you have to get it ... but I do know that I didn't need anything else when I got my Loudmouth's.

Not sure why you would need them .. but I'm not the most mechanically inclined person either.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM
GTorangeGT
1st Gear Member

haha same here I want to order them tonight but yea...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

I ordered the LM's from American Muscle, and I thought I was foolish to buy the hanger kit.

If I remember correctly, one of the hangers on the left side of the car (if you're looking at the car from behind) is a giant, confounded piece of metal with a hanger attached. In order to remove the stock muffler, that whole frigging thing has to come off. The new LoudMouths will not fit with this gargantuan hanger piece, so unless you have a spare hanger lying around somewhere, I really think you'll need that extra hanger. Because I bought the replacement hanger kit, I was able to swap out some of the sorry-looking stock hangers and put the fresh ones in.

I believe you only need one hanger to compensate for the large, malformed one. I'm not sure how many come in the kit. I would hope it's more than 2, but it might only be a pair for $55 bucks...

Get the kit...unless you can find another hanger floating around somewhere.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I thought that was only for us people that had sixers. Shouldnt yours already be set since it already has hangers for both sides?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
I thought that was only for us people that had sixers. Shouldnt yours already be set since it already has hangers for both sides?
There's an obnoxious stock hanger on the left side (when looking at the car from behind...coincidentally on the side that V6'ers are missing a stock muffler) welded to a 5lb piece of metal that completely prohibits the installation of any axleback different from stock. If I were home now, I'd snap a picture of this monstrosity.

It's a great way for American Muscle to charge $55 bucks for TWO hangers when you really only need one, but most people don't have a spare exhaust hanger from the S197's lying around...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
There's an obnoxious stock hanger on the left side (when looking at the car from behind...coincidentally on the side that V6'ers are missing a stock muffler) welded to a 5lb piece of metal that completely prohibits the installation of any axleback different from stock. If I were home now, I'd snap a picture of this monstrosity.

It's a great way for American Muscle to charge $55 bucks for TWO hangers when you really only need one, but most people don't have a spare exhaust hanger from the S197's lying around...
Ha, I remember the words that came out of the workers mouth when he pulled that hanger off the car, glad I went to a muffler shop for a custom set-up and didn't get axle backs to put on myself.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

It depends what mounts are currently on the car. I have an '07...I had the metal & rubber mounts so I did'nt need the Pypes mounts.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
It depends what mounts are currently on the car. I have an '07...I had the metal & rubber mounts so I did'nt need the Pypes mounts.
Maybe you were able to get your mufflers to fit with that large, obnoxious hanger? I know with the LoudMouths, the pipes will get severely scratched if you attempt to force the issue with the malformed hanger...not to mention, the left pipe won't even fit properly.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

large...nope, not on mine. All were about 1" wide - L-shaped. The long part of the "L" was around 4 inches, the short part of the "L" was maybe 1-1/2".

But I hear they had new mounts for late '07 and up models.

Last edited by grampa_stang; 01-12-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about online shopping