Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning the engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

^ damn thats clean
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't wash it with the engine running for fear I'd suck water into the intake...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

^ i agree
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

damn that's super clean, the problem i have is that i don't have a power washer. can i use the washer at the car wash or is that big NO

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Spray some cleaner or degreaser on the engine. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Power wash the dirt away. After it's dry, spray some 303 or other dressing on and it will look like this with absolutely no wiping. These are my two engines and they are both 2007's. http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html

Last edited by o7 tungsten; 01-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Unless you got something REALLY stuck, the degreaser and water from a hose whould be enough to clean it. ptaylor_9849, do you wash off the dressing you use too? or just take alot of care when applying it?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Dougie B

Originally Posted by cobra443
If you want to do a good cleaning try:

Warming up the engine a little bit, spray everything with simple green (cover things like air filter, alternator, and other things you might not want getting wet) Once you have sprayed it all down with the simple green set the hood back down, dont have to latch it just softly let it down. The hear from the engine should steam a little with the simple green helping to loosen all the particles... Let it sit for a good 10-15 mins, then open the hood up and give it a nice good spraying down, make sure to get in all the areas where to sprayed simple green, some areas may need some more attention than others. Once you have sprayed her down and a happy then your done.

Also in addition to that if your going to a show or something spray the entire engine bay, paint, plastic, metal.. everything with Turtle's F21 tire foam. That really brings out the shine on everything it looks GREAT. However it will build up more dust and such since the foam is a little sticky... Thats how I do it...
i agree with all of that, but i normally get the shine from a can of good ol' wd40.

it works great to shine it up for shows and will last a week or two, but if u want it to stay longer use the majority of the can, but just know it wil build up dust later on....
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
bigmax350
1st Gear Member

degreaser and a hose is all you need & a bumper-brush if it is real dirty
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
If you want to do a good cleaning try:

Warming up the engine a little bit, spray everything with simple green (cover things like air filter, alternator, and other things you might not want getting wet) Once you have sprayed it all down with the simple green set the hood back down, dont have to latch it just softly let it down. The hear from the engine should steam a little with the simple green helping to loosen all the particles... Let it sit for a good 10-15 mins, then open the hood up and give it a nice good spraying down, make sure to get in all the areas where to sprayed simple green, some areas may need some more attention than others. Once you have sprayed her down and a happy then your done.

Also in addition to that if your going to a show or something spray the entire engine bay, paint, plastic, metal.. everything with Turtle's F21 tire foam. That really brings out the shine on everything it looks GREAT. However it will build up more dust and such since the foam is a little sticky... Thats how I do it...
right on works awsome
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

07 Tungsten, you can absolutely use the power washer at a car wash for your engine. They even have "degreaser" as a choice of soaps you can use.

JDWalton, The 303 works so well for this job that you really only need to degrease like once a year. Other times you can simply spray it quick with water and the dressing makes the dirt slide away.

Here's my exact recipe:

1. Spray a really good amount of cleaner or degreaser in the engine bay and let sit for about 5-10 mins.

2. Power wash dirt away. Preferably with a hot water power washer if you have access to one. If not, a car wash sprayer will do.

3. Drive around to heat your engine to evaporate water. OR use a leaf blower to dry. Especially, the nooks and crannies.

4. Spray 303 all over and lower the hood. Come back in 10 minutes and it will look like mine with absolutely NO WIPING. Use a Q-Tip to absorb any small pools of 303.

Total time: 30 minutes. I spent a few years as a member of "Autopia" detailing website. I learned all my tricks over there. If you really want to learn how to make your car sparkle check it out. http://autopia.org/forum/ Check out the "Click and brag" section.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 01-16-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Here is a unique method I came across on another forum in which a guy uses WD-40 (post 15 & 16). In looking at his engine, it does look like brand new.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ighlight=WD-40

Quick Reply: cleaning the engine