Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning the engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

Default cleaning the engine

my engine is filthy right now, what do you guy use to clean it properly without any engine problems.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've yet to clean the Stang engine other than wipe it down when I dry the car after washing. But I do frequently use a power washer on my other car engines.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

so just spray the engine with a high pressure washer and there won't be any problems
Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

i have cleaned my engine several times with a pressure washer with no problems. obviously, you dont want a tremendous amount of pressure. i use a 3000 psi machine, using the fan spray attachment and make sure you dont get too close while using it. i hold it back at least 3 feet and give the whole thing a good spraying from every angle. wrap up your air filter with a plastic bag and secure it good or it will blow off . i also wrap up the maf sensor outlet and the connecting wires. i also cover the fuse box and the pcm as best as possible. getting a little water on it wont hurt. i dont use any degreaser either but i guess it would'nt hurt. once im done, take all the plastic wrap off and start it up and let run till warm. then i mop up the remaining water from all the nooks where it collects and usually armor-all everything black. let me back up a sec, i mop up the water down in the spark plug holes before i start it up. but thats about it, looks better than new!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I just use the soap i used to clean the car with and the hose and then dry it when im done. if it needs more i spray some of the boeing spec simple green and lit it soak for 1 minute and wash it off. Make sure you dont get the fuse box, air filter or alternator wet. These alternators suck anyway, dont give it another reason to fail!

I then finish it up with some amorall for the plastic, tire shine for the rubber. Looks like brand new after! I also use my air compressor to blow all the water out of the little crevises before I dry it so no water sits on stuff.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

If you want to do a good cleaning try:

Warming up the engine a little bit, spray everything with simple green (cover things like air filter, alternator, and other things you might not want getting wet) Once you have sprayed it all down with the simple green set the hood back down, dont have to latch it just softly let it down. The hear from the engine should steam a little with the simple green helping to loosen all the particles... Let it sit for a good 10-15 mins, then open the hood up and give it a nice good spraying down, make sure to get in all the areas where to sprayed simple green, some areas may need some more attention than others. Once you have sprayed her down and a happy then your done.

Also in addition to that if your going to a show or something spray the entire engine bay, paint, plastic, metal.. everything with Turtle's F21 tire foam. That really brings out the shine on everything it looks GREAT. However it will build up more dust and such since the foam is a little sticky... Thats how I do it...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Or if you dont wanna spray down the engine just use some simple green and a towel and wipe everything down!! Your car is an 07 so i doubt your gonna have alot of dirt and grease to even need a high pressure wash!! I also wipe down all black plastics with some Turtle F21 Protectant and your good to go!!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the tips guys!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

I washed my car's engine a while ago but I remember my dad telling me to make sure the engine was running. I don't really know if this makes a difference or not but that's what I did. I guess if the engine is hot and running it makes the water evaporate faster and prevents it from getting into certain areas you wouldn't want it to reach...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Spray some cleaner or degreaser on the engine. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Power wash the dirt away. After it's dry, spray some 303 or other dressing on and it will look like this with absolutely no wiping. These are my two engines and they are both 2007's. http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 01-15-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: cleaning the engine