Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clocking the MAF Sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Clocking the MAF Sensor....

So, there are actually two reasons for this thread.

1. Another chance to rave over Brenspeed's customer service, and especially all the help that Seth has given me over the last couple of weeks.

2. I need an explanation of MAF clocking....here is why.....

If you look at this picture directly out of the Vortech Installation guide, they are very specific in that you need to "clock" your MAF EXACTLY AS SHOWN.....

T

That said, here is a pic of where my mechanic "Clocked" my MAF sensor. As you can see, it is EXACTLY as shown in the instruction guide...

Which brings me to the Brenspeed customer service praise. The car was running good, but, I could tell that something just was not right there. Of course, jumping to conclusion, I figured it was a tune adjustment, etc. I e Mailed Seth about this issue this morning, and after describing the issue I was having, he immediately wrote back, and said to check the MAF clocking. He said he would bet it was clocked to the 10 o clock position, as shown, and as noted in the Vortech instructions....He said to re-clock the MAF to the 7 o clock position, and write him back.....

HOLY CRAP!!!! Now that is how the car should react with a blower....I cannot believe the difference this made.....

So, can someone tell me if this is due to Vortech making the assumption that it would be the Vortech tune used on the car, and the Brenspeed tune requires a different clocking? Or, is there something else here that someone can shed some light on.....???

Thanks again Brenspeed and Seth.....Appreciate the help....

Mike
Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Other than the fact that the MAF sensor is finicky as hell, no other explanation from me.
When ProCharger tuned my car the first time, they said "dont move the tubes". Even though the tube turning into the TB has fins in it and a sample tube in the center, any movement would change the airflow enough to screw up the reading. The second time they had my car, they wanted to try a more stable place, so they put it right at the intercooler outlet. So far, so good.
I'll bet they have had plenty of other situations occur, and he knew exactly what to tell you try first.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Its the location of the MAF and how the vortech setup is. There's not much area for a smooth and consistent and non-turbulent air flow over the maf, and that location is probably where vortech found to be the smoothest; and it is also closer to the stock wiring that you have to splice into.

If you put an air/air intercooler in in a blow-though setup, you can put the maf much further downstream and get much smoother and stable maf readings, making tuning easier. The MAF doesn't have to be clocked like that shown.

Here's a pic of mine, where the maf is on the pipe leading onto the throttle body.