Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

Default Spoiler Installation

If I was to install a gt500 spoilier on my sixer (and I don't know much about cars) could I do it myself? Is it an easy job? Do you just unscrew the old one and put on the new?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Originally Posted by txaggie582
If I was to install a gt500 spoilier on my sixer (and I don't know much about cars) could I do it myself? Is it an easy job? Do you just unscrew the old one and put on the new?

pretty much

you'll have to remove some gunk from the deck lid first before putting the spoiler on

thats the hardest part

oh, and which spoiler do you have?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have a question about this. You really have one good shot at putting the GT500 spoiler in place because if you screw up with the alignment then the tape will have to be pulled up.

How are you guys aligning the thing when you put it on to make sure the screws line up and its in the right spot?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

also might take some fishing line to get the spoiler to come off from the decklid. then as joolander said just use some goo gone to get all the residue off the decklid.
pretty sure there is a how-to on this.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

To get the alignment correct, the easy way is to place acouple of peg's in the screw holes on the spoiler. Plastic or wood works the best
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah the alignment is easy with two people. I just got my dad to hold the screws in the holes and we actually threaded the screws in the spoiler before I sat it down all the way on the trunk.

The gunk is by far the hardest part to get off. I left a bunch of gunk on the trunk lid because I couldn't get it all off but it's not noticeable.

Overall it's a very easy install. I did it in a few minutes and anyone can do it.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Woot! I just got my GT500 spoiler...I only have a little bit of time before work so this may have to wait til tomorrow.

OP, I'll be doing mine myself, if you haven't done yours by tomorrow afternoon I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

I haven't even ordered mine yet... and for whoever asked what spoiler I have I have the one that sits flush with your trunk... the flat one.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

He has the V6 one not sure on how much "Gunk" they have on that. But anyways I installed mine by myself and to get the gunk off just soak a rag in some good gone throw it on top of the gunk and let it sit. Come back or sit there for a while then repeat process until you get it off. Fishing line is also what I used it worked perfect...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I just finished putting mine on.

I did it by myself. I didn't have any braided fishing line and the 12 lb test that I was using kept breaking, lol. I sprayed some WD 40 underneath the spoiler the best I could, let it sit for a few minutes, then used an old ID card to slide underneath to break through the adhesive.

It left a mess of adhesive of course, which seemed more like a gasket than anything. I used "Oops" because I didn't have any goo gone. I used the same ID card to scrape the gunk off...took a while but you just gotta chisel away at it.

When it was clean I put the new spoiler on for a mock up. When I got it lined up I put masking tape in four different locations on the spoiler. I removed the spoiler and pulled back the adhesive backing just a couple inches on each of the four sides. I put the spoiler back in place using the tape as a guide and left the short pieces of adhesive backing sticking out from underneath the spoiler.

I LIGHTLY put the two bolts in through the bottom of the deck lid into the spoiler, then removed the adhesive backing. I did have one of the backings break about halfway...but I figure (errr, hope) that it isn't enough to cause any problems.

I then tightened the two bolts, removed the tape and cleaned up.

Very easy job, just more time consuming than it should have been to remove the stock spoiler and adhesive.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Installation