Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I bought 20" Saleen wheels/tires would I...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMoRT
if you're getting an extremely good deal then I say go for it.... but im usually not a big fan of those saleen wheels. i think theres plenty of cooler wheels

Alcoa 20x9 Shelby Forged Wheel & Alcoa 20x10 Shelby Forged Wheel

http://www.partscheap.com/Alcoa_Wheel_p/8s3z-1007-9.htm

I like these, but they're $500 a wheel plus god knows what for tires!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suttanstyle
Is this absolutely necessary or will it damage something otherwise?

It looks like new gears will cost me up to $200, let me know if this is optional?

Can you please offer any suggestions, links?
Its not at all necessary, it will just make your car perform better with the addition of larger diameter, heavier tires and wheels. assuming you have the stock wheels, 17" or 18", switching them out with bigger diameter wheels/tires reduces torque and stand still acceleration. you will notice the difference the first time you drive it with the new 20s on it. depending on what size tire you put on the rim, it may not be a big difference. when i went from the stock 17"s to 315/35/20s , my car was noticeably slower on take off. i installed a set of 3.90s and regained the torque i had lost. but 4.10s or 4.30s would be an even better choice.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 AM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brunobluto
Its not at all necessary, it will just make your car perform better with the addition of larger diameter, heavier tires and wheels. assuming you have the stock wheels, 17" or 18", switching them out with bigger diameter wheels/tires reduces torque and stand still acceleration. you will notice the difference the first time you drive it with the new 20s on it. depending on what size tire you put on the rim, it may not be a big difference. when i went from the stock 17"s to 315/35/20s , my car was noticeably slower on take off. i installed a set of 3.90s and regained the torque i had lost. but 4.10s or 4.30s would be an even better choice.
How much did it cost you to install your new gears?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suttanstyle
How much did it cost you to install your new gears?
I paid about 200.00 for the gearset plus another 100.00 for an install kit that included new bearings, shims, seals , nuts and bolts and gear oil. but to install them yourself requires a vast assortment of hand tools, shop equipment and various measuring devices, plus good mechanical skills. If you dont already have most of these things, they would cost several hundred dollars to acquire, thus making it most practical to just take your car to a trustworthy shop and paying them to do it. I'm just estimating, but i would say a mechanic would probably charge you between 300. and 500.00 for an install.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

You dont need anything extra to run these rims. All the items mentioned will just help either stop a bit better or accelarate faster but again is not necessary. Here is a pic in black just in case.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

I have a set of the chrome 7-spokes from my car that I will sell cheap if you're interested.. They are in pretty good condition and I really don't want them sitting around (wheels only, no tires).
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

kinda in the same boat your in OP, i have 20" bullets on my gt an my rotors an brakes are stock,
but man they feel so heavy ,I could really feel the weight of the wheels on tight corners, they came with the car btw,
actually thinking about buying some 18" stock wheels an tires,

Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Unless you are really stuck on those wheels, I would consider getting a set of 18s. This is purely my opinion but aside from adding weight to your car, the 20s don't look right to me on an otherwise stock body. Again, just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

As heavy as some of these 20's are, adding chrome adds many many pounds to each wheel. Mine, not chromed weigh in at 26 lbs. Not bad for a 20.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

I think i'll keep those 20s though, show wheels
an than get a set of Daily driving wheel/tires
than get a set of drag wheel/tires
than a set of wheel/tires for hallet driving
than a set of snow tires ;p

wow i think the woman in me is coming out in a weird way
instead of having the urge to buy shoes for different occasions im having the urge to buy wheels an tires instead lol

Quick Reply: If I bought 20" Saleen wheels/tires would I...?