Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto or Manual, What should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

If you really love your car and enjoy driving it, the manual isn't going to be that much of an issue. Now, if you are going to have a LOT of stop and go traffic and big traffic jams, maybe an auto would be the way to go. If you have some reservations about switching to a manual, then maybe this isn't the time to stray away from what you are used to.

Most of the time, I have no issues with driving my manual shift car (currently an 02 Eclipse GT...previously a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD). About the only times I noticed a downside were during major interstate traffic/construction jams (I've had some long drawn out, move an inch or two and stop jams that made me very unhappy with having a clutch....) or if I had an injury that magnified the pain of having to use your right hand and left foot frequently. Even the deadly stops on a hill are really no big deal when you get familiar with shifting.

Best answer is to have two cars. One with a manual for your fun drives and another with an auto for effortless driving during those daily traffic congested experiences.

Good luck. You CAN have fun with either one.

Last edited by ztalon; 01-30-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RICVA05
I try not to get involved to much with people slamming auto's but what makes it funny is to see somebody that drives a 6 cyl. do it.
haha THAT was funny.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

AUTO's are so boring to me though they give better times at the track....rather more consistent times. I have not driven an AUTO in yrs and never owned one. I feel like I have more control over the car and just prefer it over an AUTO for any type of driving. OP if it is your DD I would just go with an AUTO. After a few yrs of practice after learning to drive a manual you will want another stang and you could buy a manual!!!! anyway this is JMO
Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

First, you need to learn how to drive a manual... A Mustang GT would not be the easiest car to learn on nor would you want to burn out the clutch on it. I am a huge fan of a manual and personally would not buy an Auto but I also understand you might have some issues with A. learning to drive a manual and B. your foot issues.

Good luck with your V8 purchase, don't lose sleep over auto vs. manual controversy, either way you will love the 300hp!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by ztalon
If you really love your car and enjoy driving it, the manual isn't going to be that much of an issue. Now, if you are going to have a LOT of stop and go traffic and big traffic jams, maybe an auto would be the way to go. If you have some reservations about switching to a manual, then maybe this isn't the time to stray away from what you are used to.

Most of the time, I have no issues with driving my manual shift car (currently an 02 Eclipse GT...previously a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD). About the only times I noticed a downside were during major interstate traffic/construction jams (I've had some long drawn out, move an inch or two and stop jams that made me very unhappy with having a clutch....) or if I had an injury that magnified the pain of having to use your right hand and left foot frequently. Even the deadly stops on a hill are really no big deal when you get familiar with shifting.

Best answer is to have two cars. One with a manual for your fun drives and another with an auto for effortless driving during those daily traffic congested experiences.

Good luck. You CAN have fun with either one.
I agree and very true!

Originally Posted by logicbombx
How hard to you have to press down with your left foot?
Not hard at all even with the right twin disk aftermarket clutch (Mcleoud RST it is very driveable and wont fatigue your leg! Smooth!

Originally Posted by deekum1627
manual you dont have to press hard at all man
Agreed
Originally Posted by East87
+1

Learn to drive a manual, then go in for a test drive. See what works better for you.

Manual: more fun, you're "driving" the car, annoying/tiresome in traffic, slightly better gas mileage
Auto: better for racing at the track (after a tune), better in traffic, passive driving experience

It's hard to make a choice without driving each. The auto will drive differently because you're not selecting each gear shift.
exactly!

Originally Posted by sevenleaf
My car is still fun as hell on the street or strip....

I still agree with the posters way above get what your comfortable with one isn't better then the other it's a choice you make no one will ever win this argument or conversation...
That best summarizes this thread and why I posted my opinion(s) above.....
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

^ +1
only one thing ill add is that the factory clutch is quite soft so you "should" be able to handle it (dont know your situation)
Love my stick but i would think for you probably an auto.. not bad with an intake and custom tune
Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nite
oh, here we go...
LOL Yep, .....AGAIN..!! Three things that will certainly cause emotional responses.... 1. Religion, 2. Politics and 3. Should I get an automatic or standard.. lol

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 01-31-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 AM
nite
3rd Gear Member

aw, common this thread is way too lite so far!

I know there are guys out there right now with their faces turning blue because cause they wanna vomit all over their keyboard about how much superior their manual is, and the auto guys have subscribed to this thread, so they can be quick on draw with their comeback about driving in traffic and 1/4 mi times.

common guys, let it all hang out! you know you want to!

come to think of it, I haven't seen a v6 vs gt thread in a while... maybe the op would like to start another thread about whether or not he should go with a gt? those threads are just as entertaining! you can always count on the usual suspects pontificating about their superior 300 hp gt. lol.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 AM
StangRehab
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
LOL Yep, .....AGAIN..!! Three things that will certainly cause emotional responses.... 1. Religion, 2. Politics and 3. Should I get an automatic or standard.. lol
LMAO... When I saw the thread title I waited for people to respond before reading just to see all the arguments.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 AM
StangRehab
1st Gear Member

The main reason I love my manual tranny is because it keeps my wife from asking/trying to drive my car anywhere!!

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual, What should I buy?