Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default CB antenna

Has anyone tried to install a magnet mount CB antenna on these cars. I tried today and was not able to get the SWR's down. They were super high leaving me to believe that maybe these cars aren't grounded very well.

What would be the best way to ground these cars, body, chassis, and whatnot????
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Hmm. I used to have a ham radio antenna on my 95 stang and it worked fine. I would imagine these would be ok as well.

It was put right behind the rear glass on the trunk.

Where did you try to mount it?

Have you stuck the antenna somewhere else to make sure you don't have a problem with it?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Perhaps a place to start is to measure the resistance between the car chassis and the radio chassis. If that is not close to zero ohms, then you could use a strap to connect the two.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

No magnet mount for me. I have mine on the trunk lid. No problem with the swr and I'm running a modified ham radio in the stang
Attached Thumbnails CB antenna-cimg0067.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I've wanted a CB for the longest time but there is no way I am mounting that monster antenna on the car. Is there some sort of low profile antenna I can put on/ possibly in the car?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Bluestang07
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister
I've wanted a CB for the longest time but there is no way I am mounting that monster antenna on the car. Is there some sort of low profile antenna I can put on/ possibly in the car?
I had a CB antenna that kind of looked like a cell phone antenna on my 79 Pace Car back in the day (late 80's). It worked relatively well but I don't know if they even make them anymore.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I went to a friends house and checked my radio and my antenna. They all work fine until I put them in my car. There is something wrong with my car, when I install the cb and antenna to my car, my SWR's go in the red. I've been told that grounding my radio might fix this. My question is where can I ground my radio inside the cab. Is there a place on the firewall that i can get to, to try and ground a wire to?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Just wondering where in the car did you all mount your CB/Ham radios? Anyone have any pics with the radios mounted in the car?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Is the rear decklid aluminum like our hoods?
Where have you tried placing the mag mount?

It may be that the decklid isn't grounded properly. Straps should help.

But how are you getting power to your radio? I used to use cables straight from the battery. Avoid using the lighter plug type.

There are great short antennas that are thick, stable and tunable. Or at least there were 25 freakin' years ago, when I was into CB!
Hee Hee!

But with the economy in the crapper I can really see more people trashing their cell phones (or having daddy take them away) and replacing them with CBs to talk to their friends in town. Most good units will let you reach almost anywhere in the city.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Use the same ground wire that the 8 track is using. You can probably find a solderless connector or two in the pockets of your nylon truckers vest. Sorry, couldn't contain myself.

Quick Reply: CB antenna