Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions/Comments on Borla Stingers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions/Comments on Borla Stingers.

Hey just a couple questions and comments. I have Borla Axle-Backs and was just wondering if the Cat-Backs are really any louder or different then the Axe-Backs performance/sound wise. Also something I have noticed that may help people looking for a new exhaust. When you read the drone threads about these things you will noticed that the people who swear against them and their drone didn't have them on for more then a week. In fact almost every case I have seen they are taken off within a week. Now I have had mine on for months now and I just recently hit the 3000 mile mark with them and now they have 0 drone and they have developed a nice growl to them and I even want them louder now haha as you can see from my first question. Anyway I doubt it's that I got use to the drone I would bet money it's because they just need to break in and the drone goes away. So people if your looking into them and you like them GO FOR IT deal with the drone for 3000 miles and if you can't take it after that then go ahead and get rid of them but I garuntee you won't want to. Also this is coming from someone with an Automatic were the drone is a bit worse then in Standards. Anyway just my 02.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There is no difference between the axlebacks and the catbacks; performance or sound wise.

I've had the Stingers on for over 1 1/2 years and 24,000 miles and they still drone. But since I don't mind, it's a moot point.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

ive had my stingers on for 4 months now and 10k miles and they still drone at 60mph in 5th gear. but i really dont mind it. as nuke said it is a moot point.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Hmm maybe I got use to it then.. haha but they don't drone like they did when you first got them right? Thats the point I was trying to make is that they get better after they break in.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Branomano06GT
Hmm maybe I got use to it then.. haha but they don't drone like they did when you first got them right? Thats the point I was trying to make is that they get better after they break in.
how much are you riding with the o/d off? that would make a diff in the drone.
btw i love the new front end you put on the red rhino
and yes your right they get better over time and a little louder once they settle in
Old 02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Overdrive OFF takes care of the drone espenially when you are slightly driving uphill...anyways....no performance/sound difference with the catbacks...if you want a more aggressive sound, change your midpipe to an offroad midpipe you will get what you want, trust me, thats the setup i have:
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Jmoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I've had my stingers for about a 1 1/2 years and there's still a drone but I really don't mind. I love em!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Oh I know that O/R will wake them up but I just don't know don't wanna have to worry about cops so much... but I am inching closer to it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

well you do live in cali and they are a bit more strict on inspections and the sound from what i hear....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
bkuhl

I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. Drone was pretty bad in 5th. Purchased sound deadening material to try and reduce some of the drone noise.....however, now I am wondering if I even need it . Either I am getting used to the sound or the drone is not as bad as it was the first few days. Definitely felt a difference in performance.

2008 GT/CS Vista Blue
JLT Intake
Borla Stingers axle back

Quick Reply: Questions/Comments on Borla Stingers.