Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for header instal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting ready for header instal

All

Im soon going to be installing bbk shorties and magna. X pipe on my GT 5 spd. I have plenty of tools available to me for the project. Just a few questions. I also have a write up from a member here and have the Mustang Monthly BBK article that floats around here.

1) were there any tools that were special that really helped?

2) when i remove the starter, is there a special way to reinstal? alignment?

3) When i remove the steering shaft, is there a special way to reinstal? Should i mark it be4 i unbolt it?

4) are the stage 5 locking bolts a PIA to put in? i plan on getting these since many have

5) Id like to get the haynes mechanics manual just incase Sh*t hits the fan but the only editions they have in the store are 2005 -07 and i have an 08. arent the years similar?

6) Do the directions have the torque specs?

7) Which brand of beer do i get? lol
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
08SGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadMike1337
All

Im soon going to be installing bbk shorties and magna. X pipe on my GT 5 spd. I have plenty of tools available to me for the project. Just a few questions. I also have a write up from a member here and have the Mustang Monthly BBK article that floats around here.

1) were there any tools that were special that really helped?

2) when i remove the starter, is there a special way to reinstal? alignment?

3) When i remove the steering shaft, is there a special way to reinstal? Should i mark it be4 i unbolt it?

4) are the stage 5 locking bolts a PIA to put in? i plan on getting these since many have

5) Id like to get the haynes mechanics manual just incase Sh*t hits the fan but the only editions they have in the store are 2005 -07 and i have an 08. arent the years similar?

6) Do the directions have the torque specs?

7) Which brand of beer do i get? lol

ok il answer these in order you have listed

1. just have a ton of wrenches . . a box ratchet wrench will help a ton cause some places you wont be able to get a socket in and have a long extension and swivel head

2. no just bolt the start back up

3. when you take the steering shaft off mark the top with a T and the bottom with a B. . you will forget witch is witch believe me i almost did but i marked mine . . . and you will need two people to put it back in

4 i cant tell ya i just used the bolts that came him the headers an some loc tight

5. i dont think you need one i didnt have one and just used the mustang monthly article and the papers that came with the BBK headers

6. no it didint but you wont be able to get a TQ wrench in there anyway

7. haha id say heineken

here are some tips they dont tell you . . . first take off the CAI/stock airbox . . .makes alot more room for the top bolts on drivers side . . second take the battery and battery tray out . . again makes more room to get top header bolts . . . also i removed my front wheels you will need to atleast remove the passenger side to get to the motor mount and starter . . and just reuse the stock metal gasket. . . last but not least make sure you anti seize all the slip joints and 02 sensors

PS when you jack the engine up use two good sized phone books insted of the 2x4 piece of wood

if you need anymore help just pm me

Matt
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I got my Haynes manual from Amazon, there shouldn't be that big of a difference between 05-09's.

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Mustang-H...4472298&sr=8-1
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

let us know how it goes. good luck
Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

yeah the locking header bolts are a pain to put in. if you want, i could sell you the stailess bolts that came with my MAC's though....
Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

and you want to do 18 ft/lbs on as many of the bolts as you can. the ones where you cant get a torque wrench in there, just snug it up hand tight.
make sure you use silicone gasket maker
Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

the wrenches with the rachet inside them are priceless for the install...take your time... it is not hard but very time consuming.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Can't comment on the header install, I'm still waiting to do mine though let us know how the install goes!!.........writeup???

I can however comment on Beer. I'd say Coors Light----a refreshing beer that goes down easy. It's as cold as the Rockies AND cheap
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

good luck on the install... im supposed to be getting my ARH longtubes tomorrow morning. i wont be installing them myself but rather getting them installed and dynoed this weekend. kind of wish i would have attempted this myself but i got too good of a deal on an install/custom dynotune combo i couldn't pass up. let us know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
mds08
1st Gear Member

Just don't believe "you know who" about installing them in an 1 1/2 hours with the help of his two buddies. It will take at least 4 hours for short tubes. Good luck,its not that bad,the BBKs bolt right up perfect. I have seen several set go on with no problems. You will love the tuned sound these things make.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for header instal