Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H Pipe installed, sound questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default H Pipe installed, sound questions

OK, last weekend installed a Saleen SS, and thought my exhaust note got a little deeper, liked it even more than what I already liked of my cars sound. Yesterday, installed the H pipe..... and not sure I will keep it on....

In short, it is much .......raspier, I guess raspier is the word I would use. the noise I don't care for on an easy takeoff is a short burst at about 2500 rpms, and is like a hi pitch quick burst of sound I hate. get on it heavy, and that sound lasts longer.

I had my kid drive buy me, and to be honest I like the sound from the outside. He and I both agree outside car /driveby sound is ok, but inside, *$*&$%$^&arrg!! Unfortunately, 100% of the time, I will hear the car from the inside! LOL

I am wondering if it could be a rattle I can fix, or if this is it... it may come off if so. I will get some video up later today from inside and outside, maybe that will help.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

i know what you are talking about and no its not a rattle....i have an off road h-pipe and from what i hear in mine, the sound you are talking about can be described as kinda of like the sound waves of the exhaust cracking or whipping through the air, right? i love that sound in my opinion although i am the attention getter type of personality...i love my h-pipe!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the x-pipe supposed to provide the louder raspier sound and the h-pipe is supposed to make a deeper sound?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Your most likely talking about trumpeting, it's a pretty terrible sound from inside the car. But I also just realized that it isn't bad from outside the car, the sound just bounces off everything around. You can buy some resonators that will fix the sound.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Well, you really can't hear in this vid what I am complaining about, but maybe entertaining non the less. Went out and played a bit with the new SC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeq7EwJcgbo
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Cant really here the noise youre talking about. I have an x pipe and I dont think mine sounds raspy at all.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

That sound is called trumpeting, its also know as the mustang's sweet spot. Always happens around 2500 rpm's i know alot of people that have had a lot of different mustang's and they all said that is common. Mine does the same thing and i have brought it in to check for a loose clamp or something but there was nothing wrong. WOT sounds awesome!!!

Last edited by Midnight Express; 02-15-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

After a couple of you mentioned trumpeting, and taking another spin, I would say that is exactly what it is. For some reason I was under the impression the X pipe would have that, but not the H...

Oh well, it is kinda growing on me, but not enough to throw the old exhaust in the "attic" of the shed just yet....just might go back on.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach
Cant really here the noise youre talking about. I have an x pipe and I dont think mine sounds raspy at all.
I agree, I think it depends on the application of the X I have zero trumpeting or the alleged "rasp".

Originally Posted by Toy4Bob
After a couple of you mentioned trumpeting, and taking another spin, I would say that is exactly what it is. For some reason I was under the impression the X pipe would have that, but not the H...

Oh well, it is kinda growing on me, but not enough to throw the old exhaust in the "attic" of the shed just yet....just might go back on.
Might not be the right thing for you, I've heard of some people running resonators to take care of this. Another option might be a catted x or h?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

i have zero trumpeting on my fabricated o/r h with mid mounted flows, but i do remember that horrible noisee inside the cabin when i ran the o/r h to axleback flows. sounded like a tin can at 2500......bought 40 series flowmasters and put them where they belon, and i love them....no tin can, no rasp, no trump, just raw power.
i have a video on youtube that shows the how to install part, just follow my link if you would like to see it.

Quick Reply: H Pipe installed, sound questions