Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust cutouts

So I am on the fence on getting them.

I'm on a bit of a budget and while electric cutouts are nice, they are on the pricey side for me.

$350 for dual electrics versus $50 for manual cutouts.

Now my question is, if i got manual cutouts and mounted them a little ways down from the cat, would that be stupid loud and uncomfortable inside the car ?

Will it drone like a **** ?

Anyone got any advice ?

TIA
Old 02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

cant help you, but im in the same boat, ive been considering cutouts the past couple days. Do you mean crawl under that car manual, or pull a **** to open a butterfly valve manual?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I got mine a few weeks ago, just awaiting installation on these bad boys. Pretty sure it'll free up at least 20 whp up in the higher RPMs though I might lose some power down low which will be fine by me with the new 4.10s/3k stall multi-plate TC coming up as well. Next on the list are the full race delete plates and I'll be set for both getting out the hole as hard as possible followed by as much power freed up during WOT as I can with my getto budget lol. Got these from the Summit racing Ebay auctions.. $25 ea.

I had cut outs on my 05 dodge neon SRT-4 stage 2 turbo set up and they sounded bad ***! You could hear the turbo spool from a ways away. Both during regular driving and WOT, it was BLARRINGLY LOUD. I definetly noticed a difference up top from all of the gears. Topped out he car at 160mph EASY. It was the manual cut out as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

A buddy of mine at the track had cutouts on his paxton shelby GT and it sounded bad@ss. Thinking about doing it to mine.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I got mine a few weeks ago, just awaiting installation on these bad boys. Pretty sure it'll free up at least 20 whp up in the higher RPMs though I might lose some power down low which will be fine by me with the new 4.10s/3k stall multi-plate TC coming up as well. Next on the list are the full race delete plates and I'll be set for both getting out the hole as hard as possible followed by as much power freed up during WOT as I can with my getto budget lol. Got these from the Summit racing Ebay auctions.. $25 ea.

I had cut outs on my 05 dodge neon SRT-4 stage 2 turbo set up and they sounded bad ***! You could hear the turbo spool from a ways away. Both during regular driving and WOT, it was BLARRINGLY LOUD. I definetly noticed a difference up top from all of the gears. Topped out he car at 160mph EASY. It was the manual cut out as well.
20rwhp just from dumping the exhaust? Is that a realistic number?

Also, I'm assuming you have to crawl under the car to put on and remove the plates.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Seriously doubt 20whp from the cutouts. In fact, I but you notice no difference. If you do, it's most likely just in your head from the increased sound. I know it's track only and won't be driven on the street but you will lose some torque down low. With the delete plates you will also lose some more low end torque. Make a video of the cutouts though. I'm sure everyone wants to hear them.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

maybe 20whp on my whipple setup?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

StealthGT : I was looking at the exact same set off summit. $25 a piece is dirt cheap. I will probably have them welded because those exhaust clamps will probably work themselves loose after 10 miles

Now during daily driving you said it was blaringly loud...could you even have a conversation or hear your radio when driving ?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Seriously doubt 20whp from the cutouts. In fact, I but you notice no difference. If you do, it's most likely just in your head from the increased sound. I know it's track only and won't be driven on the street but you will lose some torque down low. With the delete plates you will also lose some more low end torque. Make a video of the cutouts though. I'm sure everyone wants to hear them.
lol trust me. On my old car ( stage 2 dodge neon srt-4) it was night and day, it increased my top end so much that it was nearly a different car. I have full confidence it'll do the same for the GT. I'd expect to loose some low end torque with both the cut outs and the race delete plates, but with the 4.10s and high stall converter I won't be missing out on much- especially with my primary concern with having as much hp as possible during WOT ( on a budget at least lol)

I have a strong belief that coupled with the 4.10s and race plates, it'll have such a strong power band up top that it'll feel like I freed up so much more hp, not from the sound but because it's that much freer flowing with nearly zero restriction.

I still have to wait and see but i am pretty confident with them.

(-:

as far as how loud it is.. it's LOUD. OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD... vids do it no justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFmG...eature=related

^ electric cut outs, but they sound the same...
Old 02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
20rwhp just from dumping the exhaust? Is that a realistic number?

Also, I'm assuming you have to crawl under the car to put on and remove the plates.
maybe 15 but sure felt like 20 lol. My old ride was running pig rich with the new tune, I used to spike only 16/hold 13 psi (boost) but with the cut outs, it was something like spiking 18/holding 15/16 psi which is pretty noticeable.

On that car, it sucked because it was right under the car, but with the GTs it should be much easier because the pipes are right there to the side. I was going to get the electric cut outs but I heard issues with them ( door stays open, half way closed, leaks etc.) but the manual ones are just fine, except when the cops are around.

PS
it's a cheap way of freeing up HP IMO.. nothing like a supercharger or anything but every last bit counts! With the prescribed set up with the addition of a bama race tune I am pretty sure I'll be way under 300whp but I'll haul *** like it does at least!~

[0_o]

Last edited by stealth_GT; 02-21-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust cutouts