Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You want to know who much HP you are making?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

what about AEM stand alone ECU
Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

SCT has their racer package software for $350.00, would still need a flash device and a laptop.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:46 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by bigray327
Where'd you come up with this formula?
It is common and can be found all over the net.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by clintster77
on that formula I guess that can only show peak hp or can you come up with a full range dyno graph ? very interesting . Tell us more about your tuning methods .
Just log MAF and RPM and you can get many points. Pop those points into excel and you get can get a graph of HP. To get torque you use TQ(ft-lbs)=HP*5252/RPM. Right now all I have is an OBD scanner taking logs of the car.

Last edited by TheMadScientist; 02-25-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 AM
TheMadScientist

This is the software package I am looking at right now:http://www.hptuners.com/order.php
It is $499 to tune 2 cars.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by mikeysGT
we're all to busy beating subaru's at the track

My subaru went 12.5@112 with just an exhaust and my street tune. I don't see many S197's doing that.

Last edited by TheMadScientist; 02-25-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm not sure what it takes to get the software that allows you into the PCM. My understanding is that its proprietory and you have to buy the license. I don't know anything about what it takes to tune a Subaru...

Our tuners allow us some basic adjustments... spark, timing... but the fuel mapping and other stuff is basically hands-off.

This is what use to tune subarus:http://www.romraider.com/
It is open source and the cost to start was buy an $80 cable to tune an unlimited number of cars. It is a shame it won't work on the fords.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 AM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
I see a lot of dyno sheets around here. We all know that a dyno can read what ever the operator wants it to. I don't see very many logs of MAF. Logging MAF will tell you close to what your CHP is. I just got a reading of 233Gm/sec out of my '05. As far as I know the car is stock. You can estimate the CHP with this formula: 1.31*Gm/sec=CHP, of course this depends on how accurate your MAF scaling is. My stock '05 comes out to 305CHP.
Ohh I have another question. Why is there not more people tuning thier own car? I come from a subaru and there are a ton of people tuning the cars on thier own. I have been tuning for years and I am amazed that there is not more mustang owners doing thier own tuning.
Just log MAF and RPM and you can get many points. Pop those points into excel and you get can get a graph of HP. To get torque you use TQ(ft-lbs)=HP*5252/RPM. Right now all I have is an OBD scanner taking logs of the car.
I still have to question how good these "estimations" are with these formulas. I would actually put my money on the dyno being more correct than these formulas. And to be honest, I don't really care too much what kind of numbers my car puts down. What matters is what it runs at the track!

My subaru went 12.5@112 with just an exhaust and my street tune. I don't see many S197's doing that.
AWD sure is helpful, isn't it??? So why did you buy a mustang GT again?
(Just a joke man... that's a really nice time. STI I presume?)

This is what use to tune subarus:http://www.romraider.com/
It is open source and the cost to start was buy an $80 cable to tune an unlimited number of cars. It is a shame it won't work on the fords.
Quite honestly, I do not feel comfortable messing with the tune on my car. I would rather pay a small price for a tune that is tried and tested by an expert rather than start "trying out new things" that I saw somebody else do on the internet. Just my opinion.

Looks like you have some ground to make up to get back to the level of your Subaru. Get to modding that thing!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I did that without even trying. Actually a lot of people run mid 12's with just bolt ons.

What is 233gm? Is that the same as MAF counts?

This gauge records MAF counts and lbs. per minute. It also records crank horsepower, probably using a similar formula.

I have free software to tune my motorcycle. Even if there was free software to tune my mustang, I wouldn't do it. There really isn't much need for it, like someone else said.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

That little gauge is awesome.

Quick Reply: You want to know who much HP you are making?