Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttering when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
smiffer
1st Gear Member

Default Stuttering when cold

I've searched through the threads and can't really find anyone having this same problem. Sometimes when leaving work my 06 manual GT will stutter while leaving the parking lot. I let the car warm up for about 30-45 seconds, I then start driving away and get maybe 50-75 feet out of the parking lot and the car will begin stuttering quite a bit for a few seconds. Almost like when you're 15 and learning how to drive a stick and the car lurches & jerks taking off from a start. But in my case I'm already driving away and doing 15 mph or so. It's never done this in the morning only in the late afternoon. I have a Brenspeed tune and it's done this on different tanks of gas.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey there smiffer, try MAF cleaner and
if that doesn't solve it completely then
a throttle body cleaning may be in order.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I usually let mine warm up until the rpms gets to normal operating level. Usually by then the temperature gauge starts to move. I know the manual says you don't have to wait that long, but I think it is good practice. You may need to have a little more patience before moving in cold weather.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I get the same thing smiffer. And my car only has 5k miles on it. Can't believe I have a dirty MAF or throttle body.

My problem arrived with my Bama tune & CAI kit though. Doug thinks its not the tune. Maybe that was just coincidence. The CAI parts are all on tight.

Are you all stock?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 AM
projectbrembo
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem during cold start, but if i let the engine warm up a bit say 1 minute or 2, all goes well. mine is a 2007 GT w/ manual tranny with 93 brenspeed
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes my car has had a "hiccup" - it's not as extreme as you describe - in the afternoon when leaving work. It's when I'm in 1st gear in the parking lot @ about 15mph. Maybe I'm loading my engine too soon. It doesn't happen very often, but it seems to be when it's colder out, 30 - 40 degrees, I'll have to pay more attention. I don't recall it happening when it is real cold out, but when it is extreme cold out, I let it idle for a minute and drive a little easier until the engine temp get up. (I have not had the problem in the morning, but I do park in an insulated garage at night.)

Total guess - Maybe humidity is a factor as well as temperature?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Anybody with a custom tune may have had their "cold based timing table" adjusted within the tune. The purpose of the adjustment is make sure engine is at a good operating temperature before it satrts making real power.

Tuners who do FI cars or cars with built motors will typically put retard timing severly while the motor is cold. This way the block. heads, oil, fluids, bearings etc are all warmed up before you get on it.

If the problem happens only when the car is at it's coolest then I doubt it's a mechanical issue. Any driveability issue with our cars can almost always be traced directly to the tune.

Email Brenspeed and they will fix it.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Anybody with a custom tune may have had their "cold based timing table" adjusted within the tune. The purpose of the adjustment is make sure engine is at a good operating temperature before it satrts making real power.

Tuners who do FI cars or cars with built motors will typically put retard timing severly while the motor is cold. This way the block. heads, oil, fluids, bearings etc are all warmed up before you get on it.

If the problem happens only when the car is at it's coolest then I doubt it's a mechanical issue. Any driveability issue with our cars can almost always be traced directly to the tune.

Email Brenspeed and they will fix it.
Thanks...I'm always learning on this site....
Old 08-10-2022, 05:04 PM
deep_zek

Originally Posted by smiffer
I've searched through the threads and can't really find anyone having this same problem. Sometimes when leaving work my 06 manual GT will stutter while leaving the parking lot. I let the car warm up for about 30-45 seconds, I then start driving away and get maybe 50-75 feet out of the parking lot and the car will begin stuttering quite a bit for a few seconds. Almost like when you're 15 and learning how to drive a stick and the car lurches & jerks taking off from a start. But in my case I'm already driving away and doing 15 mph or so. It's never done this in the morning only in the late afternoon. I have a Brenspeed tune and it's done this on different tanks of gas.
Hello all. This is very old thread but I now have exact same issue on my 2011 Mustang GT manual so I guess only manual cars get this symptom. It jerks when I drive away like I'm learning how to drive a manual. It has happened it 1st 2nd and even 3rd gear. It started recently and it's very hot so maybe humidity can really be the case. I will start with MAF and throttle body cleaning but I wanted to ask if anyone got a definitive answer to this?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2022, 05:06 PM
deep_zek

Forgot to mention that my car is stock. And obviously engine and transmission is different yet having the same issue author described. Strange

Quick Reply: Stuttering when cold