Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Sports are AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Do you not have aftermarket lower control arms or the LCA relocation brackets? Your car will ride much better if you correct the lower control arm angle and the stock lower control arms allow for to much movement of the axle forward and aft.
The ride was rough on all four corners, not just in the back. LCAs w/ relo brackets will help for sure (and I plan to do them), but they will only help in the back.

Your 20 inch rims are hurting your ride quality more than your stock shocks and struts ever did. I don't imagine i'd feel much difference in overall ride quality with the koni's. I'm sure performance would be much better.
I had the 20s on for a few months with the race springs, and I noticed the ride was a little rougher than the stock 17s. After putting these shocks/struts on, I can tell you that the stocks dampers were killing my ride way worse than the 20s. You can definitely tell the difference in ride quality. The H&R Race Springs are rough! H&R highly suggests that you install aftermarket shocks/struts when putting their Race Springs on since they have such a high spring rate. I didn't listen, and I paid for it. I see the error in my ways now.

Adjustable shocks and struts are definitely better than stock, just wanted to point out that 20 inch rims and 35 series tires are going to ride like rocks compared to stock 17's. I went from 225/70/15's to 235/45/17 on my ford ranger and that was a jarring experience to say the least!
I don't doubt it, but I think that with my spring/damper combo that the switch from 17s to 20s pale in comparison.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
The H&R Race Springs are rough! H&R highly suggests that you install aftermarket shocks/struts when putting their Race Springs on since they have such a high spring rate. I didn't listen, and I paid for it. I see the error in my ways now.
Did you get 1.7 inches in the front and 1.9 in the back? That's a lot of drop. Did you cut your bumpstops down?

Even with my bumpstops cut in half, the stops will hit the frame. I'd imagine those springs would have to be very stiff.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Did you get 1.7 inches in the front and 1.9 in the back? That's a lot of drop. Did you cut your bumpstops down?

Even with my bumpstops cut in half, the stops will hit the frame. I'd imagine those springs would have to be very stiff.
That drop is for the Super Sports. The Race Springs have a drop of 1.5" front and 1.4 rear.