Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotrod Turned Commuter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
jason50wsc
1st Gear Member

Default Hotrod Turned Commuter

Because of some recent changes in my life...Thank you California Budget Crisis....I will be commuting around 60 miles a day instead of my normal 1 mile round trip to work. My question goes out to all of those who have modded. What do you think is going to bump my gas mileage up. Right now i don't have anything on my car contrare to what my profile states.
I am thinking UD pulleys, Fully Synth fluids throughout, and beyond that i am stumped. I Know it comes down to the way you drive but i just want to know if any hyper-milers have any suggestions.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

UDP's and a more fuel efficient tune could help.

I would call up VMP or Brenspeed and get a 87 octance "fuel efficient" tune.

Honestly that is really it. Try removing that lead foot and it will help lol.

Also any mods you can do to reduce weight will help too.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Intake and tunes lean out the car also. The thing is keeping your foot out of it.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Sixty miles a day? That's nothing. Try 131 miles everyday - got 105K on a 2006 GT. I have tried just about everything to increase mileage (while not hurting performance of course) and speaking from experience here, getting rid of that last item in your signature is about the only thing that will have a big impact on your gas mileage. Well actually, looking back at your signature, I see you still have the stock mufflers - I noticed just over a mile per gallon increase after installing less restrictive after market mufflers (in my case the JBAs). Gained more after that with the headers, and then lost it all after the CAI/tune. Although, I have to admit, that after the CAI/tune I don't always drive for economy. I can shave 20+ minutes off of my commute by doing 80 instead of 60 and that is not so good for mileage. Sweet spot for my Mustang seems to be around 55MPH and 72MPH, between there, higher or lower and gas mileage goes down. But in the end, who cares? It's a Mustang GT, if I wanted great mileage, I would have bought a Prius.

Last edited by kcmarti; 03-06-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Here is my advice....show some restraint while driving and follow the posted speed limits....sure UDP's will help and a 87 octane tune...or get rid of the car if your so worried.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Learn to anticipate situations ahead that would affect your speed. Learn to look a bit further down the road than just over the hood or at the bumper & brake lights of the car ahead. Move left in your lane a little so you can see past SUV's a little better. Driving by somebody else's brake lights is a recipe for having to brake harder than necessary.

A little higher tire inflation pressure may help a small amount, but don't go overboard with this like some of the hypermilers do. Making sure that they don't ever go low is at least half the battle.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-06-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

One thing I missed is that getting away from such a short commute will put the engine in its fully warmed up condition. Most, if not all of your old commute was done with some warm-up enrichment happening. That suggests that estimating fuel usage for the new commute based on your experience with the old one will be skewed toward higher fuel use/lower MPG than what you'll actually get.

Norm
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason50wsc
2005 Mustang GT - Black
Xenon Quarter Window Scoops
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
FR500 w/ 255/45 ZR 18's BF KDW
C&L CAI
Brenspeed Custom Tune
And a leadfoot
I think your lead foot mod is what's killing you lol

Put the intake back on, get it tuned for fuel efficiency, get some light weight wheels with low resistance tires(a.k.a tires with no grip lol) And drive behind semis and other LARGE vehicles. I got 36mpg in my stock '08 cruising behind an 18 wheeler at about 60-70 mph for about 100 miles. I also have 3.31 gears tho.

Last edited by acarzt; 03-06-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Twinbo
1st Gear Member

I think it was mythbuster that looked at if drafting really works at highway speeds and they found that at 80MPH you would have to be less than five feet behind a semi before you saw any noticeable gains in fuel economy. It can actually be worse on fuel because if you are more than five feet away you hit the trucks turbulence and probably a lot of rocks.

I drive mine everyday with periods of stop and go and the only thing that has helped is skip shifting when possible and staying out of it. I also find that by leaving a half hour earlier everyday I miss the stop and go and that saves a great deal.

Goodluck!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twinbo
I think it was mythbuster that looked at if drafting really works at highway speeds and they found that at 80MPH you would have to be less than five feet behind a semi before you saw any noticeable gains in fuel economy. It can actually be worse on fuel because if you are more than five feet away you hit the trucks turbulence and probably a lot of rocks.

I drive mine everyday with periods of stop and go and the only thing that has helped is skip shifting when possible and staying out of it. I also find that by leaving a half hour earlier everyday I miss the stop and go and that saves a great deal.

Goodluck!
I was driving maybe 1-2 car lengths behind him. Making the same trip, doing the same cruise at 60-70 I got 30 mpg. So it really does make a difference.

Quick Reply: Hotrod Turned Commuter