Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible time with gear install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link DB157!

White07, I no longer call him friend. Needless to say, we arent anymore. I'm sending an email to the owners of the shop. See what happens...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

same here...Gearheads in arlington tx did 2 installs and both had the pinion bearing come apart. needless to say i didnt go back a third time.
Attached Thumbnails Terrible time with gear install-picture-025.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if they forgot to put the oil slinger back in?
It's just a thin washer that looks kind of like a shim. It goes in the front just behind
the seal. Without that the front bearing won't get oiled properly...

The axle housing itself should be fine.
All the bearing races can be easily replaced.

The other thing they might have done wrong is used an impact air gun to do do the bearing pre-load. If they put too much bearing pre-load in then it would probably make some pretty bad noises.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

yea both install made noise from mile 1. I think it was the preload. Hopefully I will win my CC dispute and get a few hundred back. Gearheads lied and said i gave them used gears for the install also.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doctorstrobe
I wonder if they forgot to put the oil slinger back in?
It's just a thin washer that looks kind of like a shim. It goes in the front just behind
the seal. Without that the front bearing won't get oiled properly...

The axle housing itself should be fine.
All the bearing races can be easily replaced.

The other thing they might have done wrong is used an impact air gun to do do the bearing pre-load. If they put too much bearing pre-load in then it would probably make some pretty bad noises.
thanks for the suggestion doctorstrobe...as many times as Joe's car has been apart, it's hard to believe something like that would be missed, but it definitely sounds like something that could cause the problems that he's been having....besides not properly being set-up the first few times, it's always been something with the bearings..
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

First, the guys at goodyear are good at tires and basic parts changing. I know, I spent 8years running goodyear stores. No highly qualified technician would work for what we were paying. That said...

Nothing short of a botched gear install would give you the problems you are having. I have never allowed for a break in period and beat my gears from day one on many mustangs I've owned with zero problems. Setting up 8.8 ring and pinions is an art and if you havent done alot of them you are going to screw it up unless you have someone who has done them showing you how. Tell this clown you want your money back and go somewhere that has alot of experience with mustangs doing your differential. Do not let him touch your car again other then for a set of tires or an alignment.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hypersurf1
First, the guys at goodyear are good at tires and basic parts changing. I know, I spent 8years running goodyear stores. No highly qualified technician would work for what we were paying. That said...

Nothing short of a botched gear install would give you the problems you are having. I have never allowed for a break in period and beat my gears from day one on many mustangs I've owned with zero problems. Setting up 8.8 ring and pinions is an art and if you havent done alot of them you are going to screw it up unless you have someone who has done them showing you how. Tell this clown you want your money back and go somewhere that has alot of experience with mustangs doing your differential. Do not let him touch your car again other then for a set of tires or an alignment.

Thank you for this post. Very well said. Hindsight is 20/20 and I was a noob when it came to cars and aftermarket parts. BTW, I wouldnt let him even change my tires in the future. His guys will strip the studs...right cameron???
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by schapman
yea both install made noise from mile 1. I think it was the preload. Hopefully I will win my CC dispute and get a few hundred back. Gearheads lied and said i gave them used gears for the install also.

So who lied about the used gears? Chris or Travis? Back when I had my '90 GT, I had GearHeads put 3.73's in it. I never had a problem with it. This was back before they hired Chris as the counter guy. A guy by the name of Scott put my gears in. They've got someone different doing it now.

I can't say your story suprises me. It seems nowadays they are more interested in "quantity" than "quality".