Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people MOD???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
KandyMan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why do people MOD???

modding sets yer car apart from everyone elses....i had a 00 cavalier....looked like all other ones....till i modded it
made it my own...didnt look like anyone elses...i plan on doing the same for the stang
Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

For me it was simple... I wanted a new car that looks and runs like classic a "muscle car". The 1969 Mach1 is my favorite classic muscle car of all time, so the 2005 Mustang was a no-brainer. I had a 500hp monster when I was a teenager, and it was the most fun I have had with my pants on. Now that I'm in my mid-40s, I want to feel the rush all over again.

I have a couple more external Mods to take care of, but I think the classic muscle car "look" is there on mine. It has turned out exactly like I envisioned it. And since most 60s cars ran no better than 13's, the performance is there, too. But, 13's aren't enough for me. My goal is 11's... thus the supercharger is in the plans.

So, I guess Stckman and I will just have to disagree on the "benefit" of going quick... unless you have done it, you can't appreciate the adrenalin rush. Oh, IMO the quad headlight arrangement (ala 1969) is one of the best features of the car, Stckman!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:35 PM
JWB

I TOTALLY understand the exterior mods...they DO make the car unique. I just don't understand the money spent on making the Saleen 330HP, and it is slower in every category? i WOULD spend the 1599 to get the Saleen body kit as i like the looks of it alot. Except for covering up the tail lights, i kinda like the nostalgic set of three. Saleen does have a page or 2005 parts now on the web site. You also have to get their exhaust system because of the new rear. But then, as we get older, we all might new a new exhaust system for our rear!!

Regarding the convertible. Mustang 5.0 Mag has a great article this month. The cover article is IS THE VERT worth 5K premium??? I don't have it in front of me, but if i remember correctly, the car only lost .1 second 0-60, mostly due to additional 370 lbs i bet.

I personally do not have any interest in the coupe. I am only buying to have a convertible in garage for nice sunny days. I hope to keep it a very long time if i only put on a few thousand miles a year. I once restored a 66 mustang with girlfriends dad (25 years ago). I got to drive it once before brakes failed and she totaled it. I don't think he did a very good job on the brakes. He was german and english wasn't that great either. I have never been able to be comfortable in the last few years mustang's as I am a big guy, it was just too small. This new model is much more roomy!!

I also eliminated the Audi S4 Cabriolet as it was 58K compared to the mustang at 34, plus the mustang feels bigger. I just can't understand why Ford didn't allow Satellite radio though. dumb!!!

Old 06-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Richbowser

Appearance!

Before & After

[IMG]local://upfiles/18069/3202F166C878474AB891E16C75F9208C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18069/56CBD37B89BE46F29712EE84B0DAB767.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-15-2005, 12:02 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JWB

I TOTALLY understand the exterior mods...they DO make the car unique. I just don't understand the money spent on making the Saleen 330HP, and it is slower in every category? i WOULD spend the 1599 to get the Saleen body kit as i like the looks of it alot. Except for covering up the tail lights, i kinda like the nostalgic set of three. Saleen does have a page or 2005 parts now on the web site. You also have to get their exhaust system because of the new rear. But then, as we get older, we all might new a new exhaust system for our rear!!

Regarding the convertible. Mustang 5.0 Mag has a great article this month. The cover article is IS THE VERT worth 5K premium??? I don't have it in front of me, but if i remember correctly, the car only lost .1 second 0-60, mostly due to additional 370 lbs i bet.

I personally do not have any interest in the coupe. I am only buying to have a convertible in garage for nice sunny days. I hope to keep it a very long time if i only put on a few thousand miles a year. I once restored a 66 mustang with girlfriends dad (25 years ago). I got to drive it once before brakes failed and she totaled it. I don't think he did a very good job on the brakes. He was german and english wasn't that great either. I have never been able to be comfortable in the last few years mustang's as I am a big guy, it was just too small. This new model is much more roomy!!

I also eliminated the Audi S4 Cabriolet as it was 58K compared to the mustang at 34, plus the mustang feels bigger. I just can't understand why Ford didn't allow Satellite radio though. dumb!!!

cuz the saleens werent setup for dragracing...there road racing cars...its all in the suspension baby!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

If you want a fast Saleen, get the SC or hold out (and save up) for the Extreme.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

As mentioned above, saleen and steeda are set up for roadracing. They corner better, they brake better, they stick to the road better. The GT-R was over geared and seemed to not be able to put it's power to the ground too well. Many performance mods will make the car faster on the strip though. For example, Better tires, more open exhaust, better gear ratio, and, of course, power adders. I've got a supercharged stang and I've got to say, the feeling of the Gs when you punch is indescribable. Maybe not as cool as a fighter jet but, nevertheless, it's much more available.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Most of us modify our cars so they have more power. I like to know that when I pull up next to an '05 GT that I can give him a run even though his car came from the factory with 40 more HP than mine.

The modifications depend on a person's individual taste.....or lack of taste LOL. Some people are into appearance mods and some are into performance mods. I did a little of both.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

The modifications depend on a person's individual taste.....or lack of taste LOL.
Exactly.

Personally, I did the exterior mods because I knew it would be just a matter of time before there were a dozen of the same car running around town. I usually don't blend in well with others There is a thread about this exact same thing in the GT subsection. Two people at the same school with the exact same car ( don't get me started on school age kids being able to have $30k cars... ). And he is wanting exterior mod suggestions to make his vehicle stand out from the other one.
But outside of stripes, Xenon mirror covers, wheels, and tint, there will be no more exterior mods. OK, fine, yea, I did get rid of the Skipper1000. But that's it. Because none of that crap makes it go any faster! Remember kids, chrome don't get ya home

Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

But outside of stripes, Xenon mirror covers, wheels, and tint, there will be no more exterior mods. OK, fine, yea, I did get rid of the Skipper1000. But that's it. Because none of that crap makes it go any faster! Remember kids, chrome don't get ya home
I'm feel pretty much the same... except, I'm going to add a chin spoiler and scoop, and skip the stripes and mirror covers (but, i haven't ruled out some sort of custom painted "ghost" graphic down the road). But the majority of the bucks are going to be for more "go fast" stuff from now on.

Quick Reply: Why do people MOD???