Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIP: My Mustang GT500KR Conversion *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I really like the look of the Super Snake but I did not want to build a cone. So instead what I did was to build a theme car based on the Super Snake but using a GT as the base car instead of the GT500. So I based all my mods off of that theme and came up with several one off parts that I had made and used several different OEM parts from the GT500, GT/CS and Bullitt. There are several changes I made along the way to insure I did not create a cone even right down to my Super Snake stripe being larger by 4”, painted on and in a color not found on any Super Snakes. I also made sure that no OEM parts that I put on the car had the words “GT500” or “Shelby”. The word Shelby is only found on one place on my car and that is my wheels since they are indeed Shelby signature wheel. Now that I have all my exterior work done I’ve moved into finishing up the interior mods and will be moving on to the performance mods. Performance wise I’m looking into whipple HO SC, Spider shaft, LCAs & UCA, Big brake kit up front and shorty headers to go with what I’ve all ready done performance wise. The end goal is to have a Super Snake version of a GT and I’m hoping to have it done by the end of this year with any luck..

Its a lot of hard work & money but in the end you can take pride in something "you" made yourself.....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Picked up a gt500 spoiler from that ebay shop today. Should arrive tomorrow and I'll install it Saturday if it's not raining in Austin. Will post pics and procedure!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

I have a bottle of "Goof Off" that I was planning on using to remove the gunk on the OEM spoiler. This says "May damage plastics, vinyls, fiberglass, and oxidized metals." Has anyone used this successfully on our stangs? Or know of a safe alternative?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
I have a bottle of "Goof Off" that I was planning on using to remove the gunk on the OEM spoiler. This says "May damage plastics, vinyls, fiberglass, and oxidized metals." Has anyone used this successfully on our stangs? Or know of a safe alternative?
i use "Goo Gone" and it didn't give me any problems. best advice if you not sure, is to test it out on a very small part of your car. don't try it on on the hood or something that would be seen easily. try like a rocker panel, etc. use a small amount and see if it's going to give you any problems. take a light to the area and look for any change in the area. if you don't see a change and feel comfortable, then try it on a bigger area.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Use "Goo Gone" or "WD40" both are safe
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Mine is finally headed to the painters for the GT500 front end conversion as well as the new hood and 10" stripes tomorrow........WWWOOOOOTT!!!

That being said, I had to pull the rear Roush spoiler off as well as the stripes since the body shop is giving me a price break for doing some of the time consuming prep work for them. We ended up using 3m Adhesive remover to get rid of all the residue from the double sided tape and on the locations where the stripes were. It removed the residue completely with a minimum of effort.

It did a phenominal job and I would recommend it as a possible source to remove your spoiler residue as well.

Andretti
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

On a quick side note (and my apologies if this is hijacking the thread at all), are you intending to put any side scoops on the car during your conversion? Either something over the back 1/4 windows or the body scoops on the rear 1/4?

I have roush ones that have been on the car almost since I purchased it (In thinking back, I actually think it was my very first mod to the car). But now that I'm changing the front end out to the GT500, I'm really wondering if they will look 'funny' on the car and if maybe I should pull them off. I think I'm likely to just wait it out and wait till I get the car back from the shop next week to start seriously thinking about it, but I am curious what you intend to do (being fairly sure I havent seen one conversion that has anything on their windows) and what others might think.

Just curious.

Andretti
Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Well, there's a pair of 1/4 that are supposed to go with the kit, and I want a pair of side window scoops, but I dunno what style yet.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I did it on a warm day and wiped off as much as I could by my hand and lesft the rest. The new spoiler covers it anyway and its just more adhesive is how I look at it.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Well, I didn't notice until after I had the GT500 spoiler on that a tiny bit of the gunk still was showing. So, I had to take it off and scrape off some of the old gunk. Looks great though! I'll get pics after it's washed up!

Quick Reply: WIP: My Mustang GT500KR Conversion *PICS*