Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do it!!!
88.89%
Your nuts, have someone else do it...
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default What should I do?

I really want to "dive" more into mechanics rather than just stuff here and there, so I was thinking about doing my own brake upgrade. I never did it before, but I see plenty of guides so I can try it (for the most part). Regardless I have to take my wheels off anyway again tomorrow to try to fix a alignment/balancing issue (didn't take off the rotor clip when putting on after market rims).

On a scale of 1-10, 10 is the best DIY'er...I would rate myself a 4 or so (but that could be me being generous :P)

Anyway, this is one of the guides for the GT500 install (from Ford):

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...htM-2300-S.pdf

I plan on using what I received in the mail (splash shield, brembo calibers, stock rotors, stock rubber lines, and stock pads) to do the install. They have less than 800 miles on the stock components, and they seem to be in good condition. Also, since I have no additional bolts - I plan on using those as well with blue loctite (hope the stock ones fit).

The brake bleeding will also be interesting since I have never done it before either, but I don't see any good guides on how to bleed those brakes (has two bleeding nipples), only the stock ones.

So am I nuts for trying to do this myself on my DD, or should I just let someone else do it for me and be safe? Anyone in NJ want to come over tomorrow (Sunday) and help...hehe?

Last edited by Smooth_J; 03-15-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

do it you gotta learn sometime you cant mess anything up you cant fix and you were gonna pay someone in the first place go for it man
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

im only 18 and i have done everything to all of my cars
Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Only way to learn is to try! It would help if you had someone that could help if you get stuck. You don't want to get partway thru and then realize you are in over your head and have to take it to someone to finish. They would really take you for a ride then!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 AM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

do it yourself, take your time if your worried on how to do something you can always get help online like http://www.napaonline.com/default.aspx for 12.00 you can get online repair info on how to install and bleed your brakes and what tool's you'll need,enjoy knowing you did the job yourself and saved money for that next mod.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Thank all for everyone confidence

I am going to do it today, but I am only going to bleed only the front two since I am not messing with the back two yet.

I will let everyone know how everything is once I get done
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
agp

Do it yourself but have some professional watch over you.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Do it but check to make sure you can just bleed the fronts. Aren't the brakes set up side to side. Like a front drivers side and rear drivers side working together. When one side goes the other side still operates. I may be wrong but I would check it out. I just read on another thread that you need to bleed all 4 even if you are only working on just the fronts.

Don't take my word for it though. CHECK IT OUT... BRAKES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. :
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by svastano
Only way to learn is to try! It would help if you had someone that could help if you get stuck. You don't want to get partway thru and then realize you are in over your head and have to take it to someone to finish. They would really take you for a ride then!
I agree ^^^ I do all of my own work but still may make a call before I get in too deep. Good Luck.