Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger whine, or exhaust note?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger whine, or exhaust note?

Well, I put an offroad H pipe on at the same time as we did the supercharger and I could only hear the whine if the car drove past me, which never happens... LOL

With the H pipe my car was really loud, too loud for me anyway, and drew more attention to me than I cared for. So we put the stock pipes back on and wow, I LOVE THE WHINE. I can hear it from the drivers seat under moderate throttle.

I am happier now
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

awesome! glad you made yourself happy. i think i'd enjoy some whining myself rather than an exhaust rumble
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yep, whine.. whine is good. I'll take whine over exhaust. Hell, I had so many compliments on the car's exhaust when it was stock. Some folks go overboard on the loud exhaust. There's a fine line between sounding good and just being obnoxious IMO.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
joestang08123
1st Gear Member

im having the saleen supercharger installed and should be finished by this friday. i have the pypes mm exhaust and bbk catted x-pipe. will i be able to hear the whine of the supercharger or will my exhaust be too loud? also, will the sound of my exhaust change any after my supercharger install?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I don't think you'll have a problem hearing the s/c over that exhaust setup. The MM's aren't obonoxious loud with cats. Should sound REALLY good IMO.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
07USAFGT
1st Gear Member

I think ideally I would love to hear both if I could. Guess I need a S/C first. Got any numbers on the new saleen?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Yep, whine.. whine is good. I'll take whine over exhaust. Hell, I had so many compliments on the car's exhaust when it was stock. Some folks go overboard on the loud exhaust. There's a fine line between sounding good and just being obnoxious IMO.
Obnoxious is exactly how I described it, just wasn't for me.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joestang08123
im having the saleen supercharger installed and should be finished by this friday. i have the pypes mm exhaust and bbk catted x-pipe. will i be able to hear the whine of the supercharger or will my exhaust be too loud? also, will the sound of my exhaust change any after my supercharger install?
I did start my car and short drive after SC was installed and before H pipe added, and my son and I both thought the note was a touch deeper, and like it. But the offraod pipe made it very loud, so much that when we took it back off and started it I was like, wow, now it sounds like a cadillac LOL.

I always like my borla stingers sound, and glad to have it back.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07USAFGT
I think ideally I would love to hear both if I could. Guess I need a S/C first. Got any numbers on the new saleen?
No numbers yet, and Brenspeed who I live close to has their dyno down I believe. They have moved to a temp location until new building is done.

Anyway, estimated guess from what I have heard should be pretty close to 500 at crank, 410-420 wrhp. Probably won't know now until Brenspeed has their dynoday that is usually in the spring. Can't wait to see for sure, I wanted a nice safe number under the supposed 450 rwhp safe zone. Boost only runs about 7.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
07USAFGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toy4Bob
No numbers yet, and Brenspeed who I live close to has their dyno down I believe. They have moved to a temp location until new building is done.

Anyway, estimated guess from what I have heard should be pretty close to 500 at crank, 410-420 wrhp. Probably won't know now until Brenspeed has their dynoday that is usually in the spring. Can't wait to see for sure, I wanted a nice safe number under the supposed 450 rwhp safe zone. Boost only runs about 7.
Right on, congrats again...definitely jealous!

Quick Reply: Supercharger whine, or exhaust note?