Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLT CAI w/ Brenspeed question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Default JLT CAI w/ Brenspeed question

Installed JLT CAI last summer and have Brespeed 87 tune loaded. Since day one, there's a rush (almost turbo-like) when I hit 3k rpms, it's very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears especially. Wife even struggles a little with torque steer if she forgets it's coming.

Do I have something wrong? Is this normal? Can it be tuned out? Any ideas? I've sent a few emails to Brenspeed but never got a reply. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

It sounds normal to me. Just the extra power and I think the additional sound of the intake adds to the sensation. Unless your car has rear wheel steering though, I don't think it's torque steer you're experiencing.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Unless your car has rear wheel steering though, I don't think it's torque steer you're experiencing.

ha ha, good point! was equating the feeling to an old mazda fwd turbo we had.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

lol, I was only kidding with you but yeah, not only does it sound normal to me, but it also sounds like a good thing!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ckone0814
Installed JLT CAI last summer and have Brespeed 87 tune loaded. Since day one, there's a rush (almost turbo-like) when I hit 3k rpms, it's very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears especially. Wife even struggles a little with torque steer if she forgets it's coming.

Do I have something wrong? Is this normal? Can it be tuned out? Any ideas? I've sent a few emails to Brenspeed but never got a reply. Thanks.

What you are experiencing is competely normal. The 3 valve engine has excellent power potental and the addition of an air intake and tune make it even more noticable over 3k rpm. On a side note, the sales and tech guys respond to every e-mail with in one business day. What e-mail are you e-mailing, and make sure our e-mail are not going into your spam blocker.

thanks and hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've heard this before and have also felt it myself at times. I can't remember what it's referred to as but you may want to call Brenspeed for an explanation. I do believe it's a function of the engine design and programming but it certainly does feel like something is "letting loose" when you hit a certain RPM. Darned if I can remember. Must be a 70's thing...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
What you are experiencing is competely normal. The 3 valve engine has excellent power potental and the addition of an air intake and tune make it even more noticable over 3k rpm. On a side note, the sales and tech guys respond to every e-mail with in one business day. What e-mail are you e-mailing, and make sure our e-mail are not going into your spam blocker.

thanks and hope that helps.
thanks - didn't mean to dig at you guys, I figured you're busy with more important issues than my dumb qestion! I sent prob two emails here and there over the last 8 months or so. I didn't get an answer so i just dropped it thinking it would be better to call, but then i stored the car away for winter and forgot about it - till I took a ride yesterday. I just looked at your site and saw no phone number so i sent another email to BS today and asked the question here too.

thanks a lot for the info!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

You remember that US Postage Stamp with the upside down plane that was a misprint...but now its worth millions?

I can't imagine how much your mustang must be worth....to have accidentally put FWD on it from the factory.

Your post...makes me want a CAI/Tune. I go to Brenspeed's site almost everyday....with my finger hovering over the "quick shop" button.

Last edited by thedrod; 03-19-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
Your post...makes me want a CAI/Tune. I go to Brenspeed's site almost everyday....with my finger hovering over the "quick shop" button.
PUSH THE BUTTON!!!

It makes an INCREDIBLE difference - it's amazing how it "awakens" our cars.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

I have the 08 bullitt and even with the stock tune I felt a boost in power at 3k rpms. Since I added the Steeda CMDP and a Brenspeed tune, thanks Brenspeed/Brian, I can really feel the power increase at 3k rpms. To keep the beast in the s197 tamed around town I normally shift before I hit 3k rpms.

Quick Reply: JLT CAI w/ Brenspeed question