Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chime in with your TPMS experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Dblex
I have the same problem with vibration in the steering wheel and with new set of wheels, from a different site sponsor.

(not running nitto tires are ya?)

But, I did read some and noticed that my stock sensors where taped and banded. And I remember the new wheels just being banded on. No tape. From what I hear, the sensor can move on the wheel. But Im not sure if that 1oz ( I think) sensor would make that much of a difference?

I am taking Friday off to head down to the tire shop. I want this done right too. But what a pain in the a$$ if it is something that simple.

I will let you know my experience tomorrow!

Oh yeah, just test drove the car this morning to make sure..

Cant feel it at 140! LOL
I kinda think the 3M tape is for ease of
installation on the assembly line only.
Its because we dont have three hands
and Ford does not want to pay another
two hands to put cradles and bands on rims
when one set of hands can do it if the cradles
are positioned and held in place by the 3M tape
as the worker gets the band and crimp pliers to
complete the assembly.

Last edited by 157dB; 04-03-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

To the people saying there not throwing codes. For some reason the sensors take a while to register for some reason, but after you put new wheels on with the new sensors, give it 30-40 miles and your TPMS sensor error will go off. Once it does just resync them.

FYI that 3M tape is garbage. I had all my sensors mounted more so towards the center of my rims, and due to the design where there slopped all 4 sensors and bands flew off inside the wheels. Had to remount them up under the valve stem and get them rebalanced, but there better now.

Just make sure that your not planning on the tape to hold it. Make sure the bands themselves are properly tightened down.

Also to the person that said something wasn't installed, the AM kit for everything does include EXTRA cradle's for the sensors. So after the install you should have a extra set of the cradle's that clip onto the sensors. You can throw them away or save them if you need to move TPMS sensors at a later date.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Dblex
2nd Gear Member

Default STEERING WHEEL SHAKES GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rushed home to post this!

First off, Thank you Discount Tire!

What did I learn today? Well.... lets be honest.. you get what you pay for right?

Replica Wheels or better yet, wheels that are reasonably priced need a little more attention than normal. Although I know what I bought, and love them, they are definitely not $1000 a piece wheels/Forged ect.

Discount guy let me watch him do his thing. He told me to tell all of you that your going to need a Dynamic Balancer and tell them to use the "fingers" when balancing. This not only balances the tires/wheels, but will balance the hub.

The wheels I got arent perfectly true, but he did mention, the wheels that are really expensive, usually dont require as much weight to get them smooth and balanced.

The Dynamic balancer measured the wheel, offset, hub ect. Kind of cool actually. And I gotta say WOW! My wheels were WAYYYYYYYYY OFF! Even though they showed ZERO at the first place...here they were off by 2.5 oz at the hub. So, in short, I had weight added to the outside of the wheel and inside the wheel (behind the spokes)

AND WALLA! Smooth at 55, 85, 105, 125, 140 and thats all the needle would give me!!

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

AM has tpms kits for 20 something a wheel i believe. I would definitly get it, mine saved me a bit the other day. Light went on, i pulled over and the tired look fine. Go home and check and one is 10 psi low with a valve stem leak, $8 to get that fixed, and only ~10 miles on it when it was low on air. Always nice to have the warning system, its worth the money for a daily driver
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I bought this kit for $149 (minus forum discount ) from American Muscle:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-fullkit.html

I had Discount Tire put in the sensors when when they mounted the wheels and new tires, then used the programming tool myself in the garage. Took like less than 2 minutes to program it.

I had tried the PVC tube trick in my 2007 Mustang and it didn't work. The tube had pressure, but I still got the warning light. After about 6 months, I gave up and had a local tire shop put the sensors into the tires.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Maybe this is a stupid question but, If you buy aftermarket wheels why do you need to install new TPMS sensors? Is it just because of the sensor going off or is it a legal issue such as "state inspections" or something other than that, I thought i read something about police beeing able to write tickets for sensor violations.
I installed some new wheels last November and I bet my sensor has not went off 10-15 times sense then.
Just asking.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I doubt you'd get busted for it... how would they know? The reason I put new sensors in my new wheels/tires is safety. If I have a nail and a slow leak or something, I may not see it right away if its on the passenger side of the car. That beep just might save me from having a blowout at 70mph someday is what I figure.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I doubt you'd get busted for it... how would they know? The reason I put new sensors in my new wheels/tires is safety. If I have a nail and a slow leak or something, I may not see it right away if its on the passenger side of the car. That beep just might save me from having a blowout at 70mph someday is what I figure.
I totally understand the safety issue, I was just wondering if there was some kind of law that stated that you had to have them installed if the car came from the factory like that.

Only 70, come on you can do better than that, lol
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

lol, I don't think this car has ever been over about 85 honestly.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

some just deal with the CEL....no harm

Quick Reply: Chime in with your TPMS experience