Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up the Mustang after 4.10 install....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Just picked up the Mustang after 4.10 install....

There is some whine on COAST only and only audible from 35-55, if the radio is off.

Here are the specs the installer gave me:
Backlash: .012"
Pinion pre-load: 18 lb/in (or is that in/lb)

75W140 Motorcraft synthetic with 4 oz of XL3 Motorcraft additive

It had only 6000 miles on it, but he had to replace the pinion bearing anyhow since they get damaged during removal he told me.

Anything in the specs for me to be worried about?
I know that whine is prevalant on S197s, and is gear and installer sensitive. Is it more common for "whine" on the coast?

He did test drive it first on streets and highway. I've only driven it back from the shop so far, so maybe it will get better, I dunno.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pnut
There is some whine on COAST only and only audible from 35-55, if the radio is off.

Here are the specs the installer gave me:
Backlash: .012"
Pinion pre-load: 18 lb/in (or is that in/lb)

75W140 Motorcraft synthetic with 4 oz of XL3 Motorcraft additive

It had only 6000 miles on it, but he had to replace the pinion bearing anyhow since they get damaged during removal he told me.

Anything in the specs for me to be worried about?
I know that whine is prevalant on S197s, and is gear and installer sensitive. Is it more common for "whine" on the coast?

He did test drive it first on streets and highway. I've only driven it back from the shop so far, so maybe it will get better, I dunno.
The rear isn't supposed to whine at all from I hear. I am not sure of the specs, but did you use a genuine FRPP gears or motive?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

FRPP gears.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
tfedorka2001

I get the same gear whine while coasting since I installed my 4.10's. The problem showed up about 3 months after install.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

you shouldnt have gear whine i would bring it back and have him fix it
Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Yeah.. no gear whine here.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
you shouldnt have gear whine i would bring it back and have him fix it
+10000
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem and I had my mechanic open it back up and check and the wear pattern is perfect. The install could not be better. Furthermore, when it is on the lift, you can run it up to 50 mph and let off and it doesnt whine, but when weight is on the rear end it does. My mechanic found a TSB (2005-2006) for rear end whine and there is a rear end rebuild kit available from Ford.. he thinks it is the axle bearings (or bushings or whatever they are) on either side of the gears. He did call Motive to talk it over with them, and he is pretty sure the gears are not the noise source. When I get a supercharger this summer I will put 3.73's in (ford racing this time) and we will see if it changes.. if not, I will have him replace the bearings and see..

They are Motive gears, but obviously I am not the only one with the noise issue. I cannot hear the noise when the top is down, but when it is up I hear it. It could have been caused by my excessive driving.. its not like I drive nice.. I took the car out of storage this weekend and burned a whole tank of gas.. in 60 miles..

BTW, the tranny is WAY louder and more annoying (top up) than the noise in the rear.. I need a way to quiet that down.. any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Holy hell how do you burn off almost 16 gallons of gasoline in sixty miles??

BTW I saw you driving around off Central. I was in my friend's STI though so you probably wouldn't have noticed at the time.

Last edited by Riptide; 03-23-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Holy hell how do you burn off almost 16 gallons of gasoline in sixty miles??

BTW I saw you driving around off Central. I was in my friend's STI though so you probably wouldn't have noticed at the time.
I have no idea.. my info gauge shows 8 mpg so I should have gotten more, but the tank was full when I took it out of storage Thursday, and it shows 3 gallons left now.. and I only put 60 miles on the odometer.. I think I took about 5k miles off the life of my tires too..

I was keeping an eye out for your car, but didn't see it. I enjoyed the weather, and tonight I put it back in storage while the roads were still dry.. gonna suck this week.. I want to get my springs on and get some photos.. got the calipers painted yesterday and they look good.. but with the bad weather coming and then a business trip next week, it will be two weeks before I take it out of storage again..

Quick Reply: Just picked up the Mustang after 4.10 install....