Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which end of this spring goes up/down? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Which end of this spring goes up/down? (pics)

I'm not going to install this thing until I'm sure of the orientation. The steedas I had on here weren't larger on one end like this one is. I'm guessing the larger spring end goes up towards the body. Can someone verify this for me before I proceed to install them? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Which end of this spring goes up/down? (pics)-hr.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

I had the Roush springs and they were the same way. I no longer have them but as I remember the larger end was towards the body and the narrower towards the axle as you stated. What kind are they?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

They're H&R Race's. Yeah, I'd seen/heard that the closer spaced coils always point toward the chassis but I don't feel like installing these things and having to pull them out to reinstall again a week later. I've already swapped two different sets of springs into the car in two weeks lol. It's starting to get annoying. I can swap suspension part in/out of this car in my sleep now.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I cant remember but i'm almost positive you are correct!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I already mounted them up that way and the car seems to ride perfectly (other than the sound, prolly d-shaft related).. ugh...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I've already swapped two different sets of springs into the car in two weeks lol.
Okay, I'll ask...Why?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I'm not going to install this thing until I'm sure of the orientation. The steedas I had on here weren't larger on one end like this one is. I'm guessing the larger spring end goes up towards the body. Can someone verify this for me before I proceed to install them? Thanks!
Quote from TB-
Tight wound coil going up into the body, loose wound coil toward axle. Steeda directions does not address spring orientation. I called Steeda Tech Support to validate correct position.
this is the correct way! ^^^
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

thanks matt... that's the way I installed them and am thrilled with the HR's! Op... I intially had Steeda comps, they rode higher in the front (and rear) good springs just not what I was looking for in a DD.. probably great in a "competition" application. Too high of a ride for me.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

thanks matt... that's the way I installed them and am thrilled with the HR's! Op... I intially had Steeda comps, they rode higher in the front (and rear) good springs just not what I was looking for in a DD.. probably great in a "competition" application. Too high of a ride for me.
LOL....I am Jason and Matt is Howarmat! but being called Matt is not bad either as he has a wealth of info for the forum and its members. I dont see him posting as much anymore....must be busy (dont get me wrong he is still online)

So the Steeda competition springs lower the car some more? How much of a drop (approx)?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Sorry Jason.. GT500=Jason, Howarmat=Matt. I'll remember next time.

The Steeda springs didn't seem to lower the car much. I didn't get a final measurement but the front was about 1/2-1/4'' higher than the rear. I know I had them mounted correctly, reused both front and rear spring isolators. Someone said that the front upper spring seat changed in 2007 model year and is a bit larger than the 05/06's which made sense. I was really paranoid about lowering the car but after seeing how well it rode with the mild steeda drop I wanted to go even lower. The HR's lowered it about another 1/2'' front and 1/4'' rear. With the HR's the front and rear are nearly level. The front is now 27 1/2'' and the rear 27 3/4''. Perfect. I can now put springs/dampers behind me and move on to the rest of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Which end of this spring goes up/down? (pics)