Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY VORTECH INSTALL!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM
SMKSHOW

Exclamation DIY VORTECH INSTALL!! HELP!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
I'm installing my V3 vortech kit (2008 GT) from Brenspeed tonight and have a couple of questions. Brenspeed told me to drill out the #2 intake runner and tap for an IAT sensor...ok no prob!! I have the tap and drill bit after extensive searching..my question is where do you hook that senor up to?? They gave me a pigtail, but i'm not sure where to put it. My other question is do i need to extend the MAF sensor, and if i do, they didn't send me any extension wires. This is a non-intercooled kit if that makes a diff. If anyone has any help please let me know. I'm going to bed tonight after taking intake off, relocating power steering resivor, draining rad, changing thermo adaptor and drilling down the mount on the valve cover and cutting the timing cover bolt. I will continue tomorrow, but could use some suggestions on these 2 problems.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Wow, this is the first real post that has helped me deciede if I can put on a non-intercooled kit on my car...H*ll no, I'm not even close to having the knowledge, but I wish you all the luck. When you get it be proud.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
geomamma

The directions should let you know that you have to cut 2 wires from the MAF harness to the sensor pigtail. And yes, you have to extend the MAF sensor and I didn't get an extention either. I just used wires I had to extend it. You will also want to extend the IAT sensor pigtail as it is not long enough.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

For some reason they have not been adding the maf ext. wire kit with with either the Paxton or Vortech.

The IAT kit should have paper work telling how /where to connect to.......... should be the grey and grey/red maf wires. (Double check, going off of memory) Cut them as close as you can at the maf connector. This should give you enough length to get to the sensor.

Here is a link to an install we did for another MF member....non- cooled V3 kit. I took some shoots of the install for him

Vortech V3 Install

Casey
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
SMKSHOW

Ok...thanks, I just got everything done and installed... now when i crank it up...the engine revs to 2000 wideband is in all red at 16!! After a couple of mins, it starts to idle up and down?? Is this normal? I can't get a hold of anyone tonight and now i don't have a car to work in the am? does anyone have any clue?? Is it safe to test drive, i just don't want to blow anything up. Then install was done to the "T" everything is back together with no leaks, etc...tune is installed..
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

When I first start the car after it has been sitting, the wideband shows pretty lean for a couple seconds. Not sure what you mean by "idle up and down"... you mean its idling roughly?

Brenspeed recommends the MAF be clocked at 7PM, where as the Vortech instructions show it at 10PM. I'd try that, but I'm not sure thats your problem. I just know another guy on here with the same kit had some weird behavior that was fixed by clocking the MAF to 7PM. Mine was originally set to 10PM and I moved it to 7, and it didn't seem to make a difference on my car...

Do you have other mods BTW?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by geomamma
The directions should let you know that you have to cut 2 wires from the MAF harness to the sensor pigtail. And yes, you have to extend the MAF sensor and I didn't get an extention either. I just used wires I had to extend it. You will also want to extend the IAT sensor pigtail as it is not long enough.
hmm.. that sucks, I just realized there are no install directions for the IAT sensor..
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on DIY it means a lot more when you do.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Wow, this is the first real post that has helped me deciede if I can put on a non-intercooled kit on my car...H*ll no, I'm not even close to having the knowledge, but I wish you all the luck. When you get it be proud.

Same here. That all seems a little too involved for me to do on my own. Looks like I'll wait till I have a duty station back in the states to supercharge my car.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
Same here. That all seems a little too involved for me to do on my own. Looks like I'll wait till I have a duty station back in the states to supercharge my car.
it's not that difficult.. all you're really doing with the non-intercooled kit is removing the stock coolant cansiter, modifying some bolts, adding a few things here and there and of course mounting the supercharger unit (which feels like it weighs a healthy 25-30lbs. actually). The only part that would suck is if someone broke one(or more) of the spark plugs in the head during the removal (and or worse) some of the porcelain tip cracking in the cylinder.. THEN it'll be a bigger job than most would like to handle lol.

I have all my tools ready.. just waiting for the nice three day weekend next week.

Quick Reply: DIY VORTECH INSTALL!! HELP!!