Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Experience with Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting some drilled and slotted rotors from Rotopros. Specifically, Front+Rear Drilled and Slotted depp black zinc plated rotors for about $250.

Now my questions to everyone:

1. Will the black zinc coating hold up on the rotors or will the brakes just wear it off?

2. Are these good rotors?

3. Will these rotors holdup over time? Or are drilled and slotted rotors not the way to go?

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by nbd13; 03-28-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nbd13
Hey guys,

Thinking of getting some drilled and slotted rotors from Rotopros. Specifically, Front+Rear Drilled and Slotted depp black zinc plated rotors for about $250.

Now my questions to everyone:

1. Will the black zinc coating hold up on the rotors or will the brakes just wear it off?

2. Are these good rotors?

3. Will these rotors holdup over time? Or are drilled and slotted rotors not the way to go?

Thanks,

Nick
3 good questions

1) The brakes will wear them away, however where the brakes don't touch it will still be there I believe.

2) I never had them myself, but I heard a few people like them on the board. Anyone could chime in and talk about them more.

3) There is a long thread on drilled/slotted rotors. In short, they are nice for looks, and do help in some way with stopping. However because you are removing metal you are compromising the rotor itself and it could crack. On the other hand, it probably won't - it all depends on how you brake.

What are your reasons for getting these rotors?

Last edited by Smooth_J; 04-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.

Well, then I am not sure about the black because I think it would look stupid if the black gets warn away only where the brakes touch, so that would be like a ring of sliver and then 2 rings of black, one outside of it and one inside of it.

Mainly, these would be for looks. I am getting stainless steel line, new brake fluid and the gt500KR brake cooling ducts. I will probably do 1-2 autoX events a year.

Any other thoughts or first hand experience?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Hey man, can't help you with your questions, but a while back i saw a HUGE thread on rotorpros. The first few pages everyone really liked what they were getting for the price. Then someone posted a link to a different site selling the EXACT SAME things for under $150. There were pictures posted, and seriel numbers matched. They were the EXACT same things. Just thought i would throw that out there...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

They might hold up on autocross since the brakes don't get extremely hot, but definitely not meant for road courses. I can vouch for that 1st hand.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

There's a bunch of guys here with the Rotorpros rotors, myself included. I've heard plenty of good about them, which was my reasoning for buying them. However, they're still sitting in a box in my garage waiting for install........I bought them about a year ago with some Hawk pads.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by miloman
There's a bunch of guys here with the Rotorpros rotors, myself included. I've heard plenty of good about them, which was my reasoning for buying them. However, they're still sitting in a box in my garage waiting for install........I bought them about a year ago with some Hawk pads.
I bought rotors from stangsuspension however I haven't had to the time to install them yet.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

We carry the baer decelators. Great deal on them right now but we only have a few sets left. Enter coupon code "baer" at checkout for a killer discount.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item....affillink=Nate
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

That code is expired
Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Let me look in to that

Quick Reply: Experience with Drilled and Slotted Rotors