Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Completely Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Well since everyone has already said the battery is probably the source of the problem, i would recommend a Optima Yellow Top. There a bit pricey, mabye check ebay for deals, but if you want a great battery look into Optima.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I was going to take my car out of storage today and it would not start. I did have it running a month ago but just idled in the driveway, I didn't drive it. Then I put it back in the garage under the cover. And now it won't start. I'll jump it and see how it maintains a charge if not I'll call the dealer. Mine is an '07.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Sorry to read that Jack....you don't have a battery tender on it? I know its "new" but this has been a problem for apparently all yrs off the mustang and I had mine die once and jumped it and went out and bought the battery tender plus...no problems since!

http://batterytender.com/why_battery...d608e965a06575
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

for all you out there looking for a tricke charger / tender , i recommend the brand CTEK

i got one and its great
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Real Sniper
Admin's Snitch

Same thing happened to me. I jumped it and let it run for an hour, then put it in the garage. Next morning - nothing. Went out and got a new battery.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Sorry to read that Jack....you don't have a battery tender on it? I know its "new" but this has been a problem for apparently all yrs off the mustang and I had mine die once and jumped it and went out and bought the battery tender plus...no problems since!

http://batterytender.com/why_battery...d608e965a06575
Thanks J. Where did you buy your Battery Tender Plus? Did you get and extension cable or other accessory. I guess I need one if I'm going to store it for long periods. So you didn't have to replace the battery then?

Thanks doode, I'll check out the CTEK too.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Someone recently posted that their dealership replaced their battery under warranty. Although I wouldn't give a plugged nickel to expect a typical dealership to do ANYTHING like that for me, it's worth a try.

The chronic issues with certain lots of the Motorcraft batteries along with the various power drains such as the NORMAL drain from the anti-theft system and the ABNORMAL drain from the Shaker systems are a real headache for too many owners. Although many have gone with battery tenders, be aware that starting the car to occasionally charge the battery is a waste (unless you're taking it out for a nice long drive of an hour or more) because the alternator output at idle for, say, 15 minutes is like putting a 10 amp charger on for the same amount of time. This does nothing for a depleted battery and is more harmful than providing a full charge.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Someone recently posted that their dealership replaced their battery under warranty. Although I wouldn't give a plugged nickel to expect a typical dealership to do ANYTHING like that for me, it's worth a try.
Mine went completed dead after my first winter of storage without a trickle charger (that will not happen again) and the dealership replaced the battery without question under warranty.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

The first year I stored my car for the winter, the car started up fine. Last year, it was dead. I charged it over night and it was fine all last year. This year, I made sure I turned the radio off when storing it. Started right up. I think a lot of issues are the radios. I've not done any testing of my own but have read posts where people have measured much more drain if the car was shut off with the radio on than with the radio off. I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but it seems to.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

lol not trying to steal the thread but i bought my 09 gt monday put like 60 miles on it since but anyway this morning i went to warm up my car and my battery was dead? lol its a brand new car it just turned 100 miles lol any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Battery Completely Dead