Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter clearance problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default MGW shifter clearance problem

Recently lowered my car substantially and have been hearing this popping noise under the car. Just crawled under and my MGW shifter linkage is sitting ON TOP of my driveshaft. I mean it's butted right up against that puppy. Anyone else had problems with their MGW and clearance?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

HAHAHA and I thought I was the only one. I might be the only one that thinks MGW is over rated!

Anyway. I couldn't turn the shifter more than 8 turns otherwise it's rubbing on the drive shaft. And 8 turns is literally just squeaking by.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah... and I'm at 10 turns brocephus lol. f-in crap **** ****. Ah well, more work to do under the car this weekend. At least I found the problem.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I kept thinking to myself... every time I hear this noise I can feel it in the shifter tunnel/shifter. I guess I'm lucky I can even shift the damn thing. I may even have to drop the shaft... fun stuff.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Your trouble is not the shifter as much as it is your new drive shaft pinion angle. It's a matter of simple geometry. When ever you lower a car you change the driveshaft angle. This happens to every lowered car. The amount of change depends on how low you go (or high). If you didn't already you need to install an adjustable rear upper control arm or a set of lowers or both. You can re-adjust the angle and return to normal drivability. Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Ok, I'm going to go pick up the items I need to do that tomorrow. I just installed new adjustable LCA's but have not readjusted my pinion angle yet. Must be out of whack pretty bad. I get zero vibration and thought that was the main indicator of bad pinion angle.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the pinioon angle would affect it too much, if any.

Rub, how much drop the HR springs give. Also, what hole on the LCA relocation bracket did you use, upper or lower. The BMR springs are rated at 1.25" front and 1.5" rear. I used the upper hole in the relo bracket and I did not have to adjust the pinion angle at all. I followed this thread for advise https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ion-angle.html
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

After thinking a bit....

The once piece shaft should actually allow a little more clearance considering the shaft angles to the rear end directly from the tranny tail. Whereas the two piece shaft pretty much comes straight out with one piece, then slopes down with the other.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That does make sense milo. I used the lower holes in the brackets.. I may just move them up to the higher holes and see what happens.

The H&R's don't lower to the extreme. I think they're like 1.2/1.5 or somewhere along there. About the same as yours.

I just went down to autozone, pepboys and o-reillys looking for a pinion angle gauge and explained to them what it was needed for and how it's used. they all gave me the deer in headlights look.

I was hearing this same noise even with the lowering and stock rear LCA's in the stock rear location so I'm not sure its related. I think the MGW shifter just rides too low in its near max throw setting.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 03-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

This would be a good time for anymore suggestions because I have the whole rear of my car apart once again. I'm moving those LCA's into the upper holes like milo suggested. Any other suggestions?

It'll be going in the shop next week and letting them put it on a lift and finding the problem. Crawling under this thing in my hot garage looking for every little thing making contact is for the birds. I should have taken a week off work before starting this goddamn suspension project.

Quick Reply: MGW shifter clearance problem