Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane vs Granatelli for lowering motors, which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Ok there is a serious misconception going on here with LT's. They run over the steering shaft, which means you want to RAISE the motor slightly, not lower it. Lowering it will make it worse. OP- you want the regular Prothane mounts, not the shaved ones. Polyurethane is much stiffer then the factory rubber mounts so when the motors weight rests on the mount the poly doesn't compress as much as the rubber, which is what gives you the extra height you want for clearance.
Depends on what you get. I have Bassani's - 8 individual pipes installed one at a time. Sounds good in theory. Bassani didn't take good enough advantage of it.

Here, I've got a pipe with 1/8 inch clearance to the lower driver side side of the steering shaft. When I accelerate hard and turn left hard, it rubs.

Not obvious in this picture is that I have another pipe running over the top of the steering shaft. I've got a good 3/4 inch clearance there. So I need to lower my engine just a little, but not enough that the pipe above the steering shaft becomes a problem.

I talked to JDM about this yesterday. They said their motor mounts that are cut down 1/2 inch will lower the engine 3/8 inch compared to stock. I'm pretty sure I am going to order these after I take one more look at the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Shane- JDM is the only company i know of that offers shaved mounts so they're a good choice. I've never seen your specific case happen so let us know how it turns out. Have you tried slotting the mounts and shifting the motor over some? May save some money if you're in a crunch. I don't know if lowering it will help any as the tube is next to the shaft instead of above/below it.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:03 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I moved the engine over to the side after that photo was taken. After that, it didn't rub as bad, but it still rubs.

There's an angle at work there that's hard to pick up from one photo. Its a combination of acceleration (engine leaning back) and a left turn (engine leaning right) that makes it rub. If I turn hard left without accelerating or if I accelerate hard without turning, I get no rub.

If I lower the engine, the problem pipe gets lower and since the steering shaft is angled away from that pipe, just going lower also means the pipe is laterally farther away as well.

Part of me wonders if the section of shaft that rubs is that corner where the fat part of the shaft starts. Going lower would also keep me away from that fatter part of the steering shaft.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
AutoPartsCorp
Banned

I have 2 of the GMMM0507 - Granatelli Mustang Motor Mounts in stock for $149 shipped call me

2005-Up Ford Mustang GT Motor Mounts

Eliminate missed shifts with these Urethane OE Replacement Motor Mounts.

Mount Features:
# Direct OEM replacement
# Eliminates engine twist in chassis from weak factory Hydra mounts
# Transmits more power to the ground
# Includes all necessary hardware
# Kit includes 2 urethane bushings that provide 20% better performance than factory or solid bushings
# Installs in approximately 1-2 hours using basic hand tools
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
DO you have a link to that for us Robert? Much appreciated (lazy I know).......So I guess you wont be visiting the Detroit area anytime soon? (saw the game).....................GO MSU!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by KLO
I've looked for a long time for a tranny mount. Carr to share where you found yours? Only thing that's close would be the CHE Torque Limiters but it's more of a bandaid.
I asked my shop to do it while the motor was out so he took care of it, I'll give him a call and see what he used!

And J, no sense in adding insult to injury we just lost our amazing coach to one of the top Basketball schools in the nation.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I asked my shop to do it while the motor was out so he took care of it, I'll give him a call and see what he used!

And J, no sense in adding insult to injury we just lost our amazing coach to one of the top Basketball schools in the nation.
Thanks for checking into that and I did not know they were losing their coach....who is replacing him?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Thanks for checking into that and I did not know they were losing their coach....who is replacing him?
It's been bigger than the superbowl here, I have no clue honestly. This has all happened in the past 48 hours or so.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

(Sorry OT) but that sucks....we are watching the game this Saturday and it is crazy how big a deal this is for the state and the team in general.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

what long tubes is the OP running?

It seems that forking out the extra bucks for AR and kooks doesnt seem so bad anymore because you install and dont have the headache of having to grind anythign down or rely on other mods to make it right.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Honestly....there is NO WAY in H*** ARH can justify charging over $1000 for tubes. It's ridiculous how much LT's for S197's are. No matter the fitment issues, a little denting and fitting is worth the price difference. And Tomb, I read posts by you in which you had the same views that I just expressed, until you got sponsored by ARH and they threw a pair into your lap. Don't take it the wrong way bro, not starting anything, just giving my view and I can't see why ARH charges so much. I understand ARH puts time into the headers and uses good materials, but I think they go overboard. For everyone who has them, more power to you all!

Last edited by KLO; 03-31-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Prothane vs Granatelli for lowering motors, which is better and why?