Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Default gears

Rather than mess with finding an installer, whine, time, ect...how hard would it be for me (limited mechanical skill, but decently equiped with common sence) to just install this? A lot more $$$ yes, but still, for no whine/shim/ect issues I see here so often, and also I could swap back in my 3.55s if needed...(from new take offs site)

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustanggt_...on_flange.aspx
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I would find it hard to get no whine by installing the gears yourself. If shops have a tough time, I would think that you would as well. I would just go to a place and have a no whine guarantee.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
I would find it hard to get no whine by installing the gears yourself. If shops have a tough time, I would think that you would as well. I would just go to a place and have a no whine guarantee.
I totally agree, which is why I'd just put the whole rear end in...that should take care of whine, correct? or am I not understanding the rear end install (most likely).

I just figured if I could bolt on a new rear end, the gears (which I believe to be in the pumpkin) would not need "tweeking" and I could swap my 3.55s (the factory rear end) if needed or wanted. Am I way off base? I know the cost would be greater doing it this way, but if I am understanding correctly, I could swap rear ends without opening the pumpkin?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
I totally agree, which is why I'd just put the whole rear end in...that should take care of whine, correct? or am I not understanding the rear end install (most likely).

I just figured if I could bolt on a new rear end, the gears (which I believe to be in the pumpkin) would not need "tweeking" and I could swap my 3.55s (the factory rear end) if needed or wanted. Am I way off base? I know the cost would be greater doing it this way, but if I am understanding correctly, I could swap rear ends without opening the pumpkin?
I think you are correct, but don't forget shipping and then labor to have it installed. All and all, you are looking at around a grand or so. The cheaper way is to find a performance shop in your area and have them do it. Plus, please be sure to use FRPP gears, not motive. Even if you get FRPP gears, be sure they don't have a M on them or whatnot.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
I think you are correct, but don't forget shipping and then labor to have it installed. All and all, you are looking at around a grand or so. The cheaper way is to find a performance shop in your area and have them do it. Plus, please be sure to use FRPP gears, not motive. Even if you get FRPP gears, be sure they don't have a M on them or whatnot.
That is basically my question...can I install it. I thought that swapping a rear end would take out the fact of actually touching the gears...I'd hope that the "new take off" site is using the FRPPs...I dunno though?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I istalled my own gears but I took the entire rear axle out so I could put it up on jack stands to make the gear install easier.
No way I'm going to lay under the car while trying to do the crush sleeve, that's hard enough on the bench...

Pulling the rear-end isn't that hard. It's basically just unbolting everything.
Unbolt the brake calipers and hang them from the body on some wire - no need to bleed the brakes...
I used an ATV jack to lower the rear-end down. I'd recommend strapping the axle to the jack and be careful lowering it because of the springs...
Oh, the ABS sensors just unplug from the wiring. You may need to swap them to the new axle. Very easy to remove if you need to...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

As far as I know, there are no late-model mustangs with stock 4.10 gears so I would wonder how (and how well) the 4.10s were put into the take-off rear assembly you're looking at. You may spend that extra money and do the rear end swap only to find out that you still have the problems of a bad install. Just something to think about.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

To bad your not in California, theres a performance shop here that will install the gears of your choice for $599 in a package deal. Your choice of gears, 3:73's of 4:10's. they use Ford Racing products and give you a one year warranty.

My problem, I dont know which gear I'm gonna be going with. i've thought about 4:10's but like the idea of the best of both worlds with the 3:73's. My concern with the 4:10's is having a usable first and second gears. Not to mention I would have to compensate for this by having larger tires. The issue there is having more of a rotational mass, which requires more HP and torque to move, not to mention you'll need more stopping power because of the extra weight.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself and not having any issues then take it to a shop.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rjg426
As far as I know, there are no late-model mustangs with stock 4.10 gears so I would wonder how (and how well) the 4.10s were put into the take-off rear assembly you're looking at. You may spend that extra money and do the rear end swap only to find out that you still have the problems of a bad install. Just something to think about.
You and I are on the same page...I am just looking at something I can unbolt and bolt, rather than crush sleeves (don't even know what that is) and actually touching the gears, ect...I have 3.55s now, so 3.73s wouldn't be worth it to me...great point, how does this "new take off site" have 4.10s...I don't recall that from ford on a production vehicle...I will call and inquire...

Everyone else, I'm not sure you are understanding my question...Wouldn't a rear end swap elimanate the "mess" of gears install (which I KNOW I cannot do myself) by allowing unbolting and bolting of a rear end?

Quick Reply: gears