Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Paulejr13
Banned

Default Custom Intake??

let the bashing begin...(hope not)

Now im NOT talking about a POS ghetto rigging here...

I am and engineer, and always enjoying making think MY WAY, and BETTER

Im wondering if anyone has made a custom intake?

most people say its dumb, waste of money and not effective, but whats so complex about a lets say k&n/roush intake.

it the same design was followed what would make it anydifferent?

IF DONE RIGHT, IT WILL BE JUST AN EFECTIVE, IF NOT MORE

But besides that, i would be interested in making a TRUELY functional CAI possibly going to another location then just the stock airbox location...

lower in the bumper/fender? like my old mustang?

possibly geting some REAL SERIOUS airflow...obv a screen to avoid and debri

WHAT ARE YOU HONEST THOUGHTS????
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I kinda always wondered why it was in the stock location as opposed to lower/somewhere with better airflow. It would be cool to see one that was lowerer. maybe the agent 47 lower grille could move air right to where you need it if the intake was down there.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

bump ..
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Make it work and I would be interested in having one! Never seen one myself but my 93Gt had it in the fender so Im sure its possible. Were you drunk when you posted this thread? The grammer is horrible for a engineer... LOL just kidding bro! Good luck with this project and post some pics of your progress!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

u can try, but obviously companies have there own engineers and they use whats most effective, so not to be mean, but anything you can think of im sure theyv already tried. so u can try making ur own, but dont expect as much gains as f you were to buy one. i love making things myself to. but you gotta draw the line somewhere
Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

If you have some friends or are interested and creative enough you can make yourself an air flow table and test it against the stock intake. My grandpa has one he built and uses it to do head work. The only reason I can think of that would hinder it is the length the air would have to travel.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Techco's CAI which has a video segment on the forum mentioning it's development required many revisions that were as minor as changing an angular bend a few degrees.

This isn't something that requires an engineer, but an aerodynamiscist.

If you can pull this sort of design above out of your *** then by all means but on the sure chance you can't then I would avoid manfacturing a CAI and joining the ebay CAI's which have been proven to work worse than the stock intake. What would be better is simply manufacturing some ducting to get more air into the engine, efforts like this have been shown to work in the form of increasing mass airflow sensor readings.

You'll still get to make it yourself but the consequences of messing up won't be there.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

yes legion, i def agree...

i already have a AFTERMARKET CAI, using the stock inlet tube though...

rather than designng a longer tube which might not be good, maybe i should work on some nice duct work to suck in some more air and get some OUTSIDE air to the CAI
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Intake manifolds - several already out.

Intake tubes - I haven't seen one mocked for an N/A car yet but the vast majority of blower cars making 600+ Hp are using a 4" intake tube with the filter mounted down in the fender well.

Example my old whipple set-up... (the filter was located behind the pass side roush fog light which I deleted so I had direct flow to the filter)

On my new TT build, I wanted to the TB to be closer to the water box to be more efficient, so I had JPC make me a reverse mounted intake so I would only have a quick 90 bend to the cooler in my passenger footwell/firewall...

Last edited by modaddict; 04-08-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paulejr13
yes legion, i def agree...

i already have a AFTERMARKET CAI, using the stock inlet tube though...

rather than designng a longer tube which might not be good, maybe i should work on some nice duct work to suck in some more air and get some OUTSIDE air to the CAI
If that is your only concern, then I would think a better hood (like a ram air without the ram air kit) would be better suited than trying to duct the air in.

Quick Reply: Custom Intake??