Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does 500 RWHP Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
RedDogGT

Question How does 500 RWHP Feel?

I am at a cross-roads of a sorts right now. I bought a GT a couple of years back, and she's paid off (3 years ahead of schedule...suck-it stealership financing!). Now I'm looking into doing what I love to do...which is modding.

I have done quite a bit of research on S/C's, Turbos, full long-block replacements, and the sort. The list is long and expensive, but short in real-world experienced opinions. I want to know from people who actually have their cars laying down HP #'s in the 450-550HP range, how does the car feel/handle?

Too many threads are about "what can I do to get to #HP?" or "how much Hp will this add?", but not any saying "with #HP, I think this car feels a bit too dangerous.". I feel confident I can lay down enough time and $$ to get some serious HP #'s, but what good would it be if there isn't any control where the rubber meets the road?

Though I don't mind hearing about people's opinions on "their friend's car has #HP and they say it feels great", but I'd rather hear from those who have 'real-world' seat time in these cars with added power. The other road I've been looking at is buying a FFR GTM kit rather than modding my old-faithful GT. I've already invested 28K in this car so if it's worth it I'd like to stick with it.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

well my car should be right around the 430-450 range stock and it feels great! but i will always be wanting more... hence the fact i just ordered a stage 2 package... But you can beat the feeling for power...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

completely driveable, and instance put you back in your seat hp ans torque when you need it.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

It is a kick in the pants and you'll love it.

Fortunately, 500 to the tires isn't too crazy and the main thing for safety is to make sure to upgrade your suspension as well. The stock suspension at 500 can easily get you in trouble really fast. You'll want to lose the stock diff as well and think about a tru trak or some other beefier LSD if you are into the road thing.

I'd like to see you move to at least some nitto DR's and upgrade your suspension to suit your needs. Whether you are a road racer, drag racer, or just highway junkie, you will want to dial in your suspension with 500 IMO. What exact parts depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

youll need tires...im only pushing 400 to the wheels at 6psi on 20 inch rims and i break out a lot...got to be careful around 500 rear wheel hp because stock internals get sketchy
Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Yep - it's hard to hook up 20's at any power level.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

It is an amazing feeling, like nothing you have likely experienced before. I have never had a car with a supercharger before this one, always naturally aspirated 2700 lb cars with headers, heads, cam, gears and four barrel carbs making "only" 350 hp. What a difference forced induction makes. And you can drive it to the movies with your girl friend, or take a long drive and have a conversation in peace and quiet, or blow a Porsche off at the next stoplight or corner if you have the right suspension bits. If I had to do it all over again I might go the sleeper route with an 09 Bullitt but I would add a H/O Whipple in a second. Its the best bang for the buck in the world, a supercharged Mustang. I might add that I went Ford/Whipple with a dealer install because it was Warranteed. When you add heavy power to a stock engine you can blow it up with the wrong tune, the wrong gas, the wrong boost etc. This way if it goes boom, the dealer gets to replace the motor. If you do your own twin turbo set-up and your engine goes up in smoke, well then so does your wallet. You get to start over without really knowing what caused the explosion. Will it happen again. Ask around I think most Whipple guys are very happy campers.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
It is an amazing feeling, like nothing you have likely experienced before. I have never had a car with a supercharger before this one, always naturally aspirated 2700 lb cars with headers, heads, cam, gears and four barrel carbs making "only" 350 hp. What a difference forced induction makes. And you can drive it to the movies with your girl friend, or take a long drive and have a conversation in peace and quiet, or blow a Porsche off at the next stoplight or corner if you have the right suspension bits. If I had to do it all over again I might go the sleeper route with an 09 Bullitt but I would add a H/O Whipple in a second. Its the best bang for the buck in the world, a supercharged Mustang. I might add that I went Ford/Whipple with a dealer install because it was Warranteed. When you add heavy power to a stock engine you can blow it up with the wrong tune, the wrong gas, the wrong boost etc. This way if it goes boom, the dealer gets to replace the motor. If you do your own twin turbo set-up and your engine goes up in smoke, well then so does your wallet. You get to start over without really knowing what caused the explosion. Will it happen again. Ask around I think most Whipple guys are very happy campers.
Hey - if you're talking about me - I was a very satisfied whipple customer and I also had the fastest whipple powered S197 in the world...

I agree 100% - for seat of the pants fun without getting into something hardcore - a TS is the way to go!

Hell - I'm the first one to say don't follow me cause I'm crazy...lol
Old 04-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

500 RWHP feels dangerous on a GT500 with the stock suspension due to it's lumpiness. You can easily get going too fast in a corner and then it's difficult to get pointed in the right direction especially over bumps.

650 RWHP on a Super Snake feels just right with their suspension.

500 RWHP on the Saleen suspension feels perfectly fine and easy to control.

I don't know about anything else but it looks like you can either handle the danger of the car with performance suspension or you can drive more carefully.

500 RWHP seems like a sweet spot for a modified Mustang though, it's hard to do a build like that wrong if you do the whole car and few people I've seen have messed that up.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-08-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

nevermind

Last edited by modaddict; 04-08-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: How does 500 RWHP Feel?