Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Header Question.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default Shorty Header Question.

I was thinking about getting JBA shorty headers. What will it do for the car in terms of sound & power? I dont want long tubes as I dont want to take off my cats. Is it noticable power gain or just #'s? Where to buy and who has the best price? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

hey joe. i'd go all out and get longtubes if you want #'s. there's lots of threads on headers but take it this way. i gained 9rwhp on all motor with my catless x ARH longtubes and 21rwhp and 90+rwtq with the nitrous. since you have the vortech you'll gain more off the longtubes. you can get longtubes with cats if you want to keep the cats too bro. are you looking for numbers? shorty headers wont do much to the sound of the car in all honesty. i'd spend your cash elsewhere if i were you.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
robbie01gt

if you just replace manifolds with headers it will sound throatier wen you take off and you should notice some significant powergains
hit up jegs or american muscle
Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

He cant get long tubes cuz hes in cali. Unless you want to take them out come smog time and reinstall them. The JBA shorties are nice. It makes your exhaust a tad bit deeper. Not that much louder. You should see gains since you are supered.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i'm in cali as well. im just saying if he's only doing this for numbers, i'd spend my money somewhere else joe.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I just spent the last 3 days in the garage installing JBA shorty headers on my car. When I started it up for the first time, I was disapointed. It is actually more quiet than stock at idle and low rpms. However, when you get on it, it sounds like I have long tubes. This may be due to my corsa exhaust.

Power wise, I was very very suprised. This thing pulls like crazy. I gained way more acceleration installing these headers than I got with the intake/tune or going from 3.31s to 3.73s. I used to always roll into first gear and around 3500rpms, i would stomp on it and it would pull like crazy. I tried that today and the tires broke loose and stayed loose through the shift to second until i got scared and let off. Second gear pulls almost as hard as first gear used to pull. When I get back to my apartment next week, I will take some runs with my accelerometer so that I can show the difference of before and after, but these things rock!

I ordered mine from latemodelrestoration.com. I got the silver ceramic (1675sjs) for $440 shipped. I am so suprised at how hard these things pull. I let my girlfriend's dad drive it and he broke the tires loose shifting into second gear at like 3000 rpms. I was dissapointed after both the intake/tune and gear install b/c I didn't feel much of a gain in acceleration, but these headers made a HUGE difference.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

It's funny from one person to the next and the perception they have with the shorty's vs. LT's.....on a boosted car you get more benefit from the LT's but its not that you wont gain something from the JBA shorties Joe. Just depends on what you want. Both will change the exhaust tone and smooth out the tone as well...yes both will be louder at WOT. The LT's would probably see more of a drop in boost (1-2 psi) since your exhaust is now more efficient and the car can be tuned for more HP as well. I believe with the shorties you don't need a tune and therefore they will not gain as much as you did with the LT's but many have reported that the shorties have a nice and noticeable seat of the pants feel. I will let you know more when I get mine Joe and yes they will be shorties....just want to get rid of the manifolds and further reduce heat in the engine bay by getting the exhaust to move out faster from the motor......I dont want to delete O2 senors or shut them off etc and the JBA's are CARB legal in all 50 states I believe!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

yea, being in cali sucks... so no long tubes... i would tell you if i noticed a diff, but i got my whole exhaust done at the same time so i just noticed a ****loada gains. it also is still throwing my spedometer a bit, itl adjust soon. id reccomend haders, and since ur a gt ul notice even more power gains! i had mine done by the oc muffler man. he was really good, did my whole exhaust for just under 1400 to.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
jagass
1st Gear Member

Longtubes are good man...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jagass
Longtubes are good man...
^^^^ lol ok ok ok now I will go buy them, only since you said there good man lol what the hell.

I say go for it man your going to gain in exhaust note and you will see some power so its a win win IMO, you can get LT with cats also but im not sure if they are 50 state legal.

what are you going to do about emissions mikeysgt? forgot u were in cali. you got a hook up for testing? lol u pro have half the forum going to ya if you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shorty Header Question.